Hello and Question about age from a Newbie

613Nan
on 7/9/15 4:36 am - Canada

Hello everyone.  I am hoping to qualify for WLS and am just beginning the journey.  I have completed the questionnaire and attended the orientation program yesterday.  In the session they mentioned that they prefer to operate on people under 60 but that age is not a restriction and that they have several people who are over 60 and have done extremely well.  

I would like to find out if any of the people on this forum are older like me.  I am 61 and had a heart attack 2 years ago. Everything is well controlled with meds and I have had no other incidents since. Other than weight, which is threatening to push me into diabetes I am pretty healthy.  Is anyone familiar with the age restrictions.

I am encouraged that I was identified for the orientation but I am not officially accepted into the program.  I would really like to have the surgery but am feeling quite nervous that they might not accept me.

Any insite for a 61 yo grandma.

roxytrim
on 7/9/15 11:58 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

My sister was 59 I was 55. I do believe there have been a few of us on the more senior side.  Relax because your doctor refered you that is helpful.  By the way there is a forum for WLS over 50 you might like to check out here.

B-Trix123
on 7/9/15 3:41 pm - Toronto, Canada

I am 61 and having surgery in a month. I have an ancient history of pericarditis w/ pleural effusions -- multiple episodes and hospital stays when I was in my mid 30s when I had just lost 65 lb. on a diet you still see advertised today. Not going to say the doctor's name as he is known to be a vexation litigator.

I agree that if your doctor recommended you for the programme, you are in the programme. Getting the green light for surgery comes as a result of going through the programme. 

I thought I would be excluded too - but voila!  I have high blood pressure, severe sleep apnea and was told recently that I have an irregular hear beat. My cholesterol levels and other numbers are apparently very good. I'm not a junk / fast food junkie, don't drink pop as a rule, and consume little alcohol. These things may have worked in my favour. Not a saint -- have a sweet tooth and use too much salt. Reducing my alcohol intake will not be a challenge for me -- and I quit smoking in 1980!

Know that the process takes a very long time. I was referred to the programme my one of the surgeons on the team (Grantcharov) over a year ago.

613Nan
on 7/9/15 6:59 pm - Canada

Thanks very much for your encouraging words.  I will look into the over 50 group.  I did make it through 24 hours without them phoning to say I didn't qualify so that is good.  The bariatric team were reviewing the candidates today and the NP said she would phone people if they were not a good candidate.  

My next question is this, they said to us that you would never be able to have alcohol again (not a problem) but sometimes a nice glass of wine is good.  I have read that you after 5-6 months post surgery you can have an occasional glass of wine.  Is this true or false.

Thanks folks

W8_No_More
on 7/9/15 8:40 pm - Kitchener, Canada

That rule must be something specific to your centre because Guelph just warned me to drink in moderation especially the first several times until you see how you tolerate it. The effects of alcohol are significantly more pronounced for us and they've done studies that show there's a higher incidence of alcoholism post op. I was a social drinker before and have no inclination to addiction to alcohol (my addiction involves food... Go figure! 😉) so they told me it wouldn't be a problem. Kim

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

613Nan
on 7/10/15 6:06 am - Canada

Thank you for responding.  The alcohol is not a problem for me.  The only thing I ever drink is wine and not even much of that, so not having it is no biggie.  I was just trying to clarify some conflicting things that I read.  I plan to do exactly whatever my centre tells me as I want this to be entirely successful.

Patm
on 7/10/15 5:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was 60 when I had my surgery. Three years later I am healthier than I have been in years. My atrial fibrillation is almost gone. My blood pressure is low and I no longer have diabetes.

As for wine. Remember it is empty calories. If you can put off having it during your losing phase you will be ahead. There is also a concern about cross addition. When you do try it have a glass at home. It hits most of us like a ton of bricks. Two glasses and I am drunk.

613Nan
on 7/10/15 6:12 am - Canada

I am so happy to hear that Patm.  I honestly could put it off drinking wine forever if there is a negative impact. I am only a very social drinker like a glass at a wedding, or a special celebration so really not an issue.

It is curious though what some centres emphasize in comparison to others.  I guess partly it is the surgeon's and teams'  experience.

Thanks again.  I am sure I will have lots more questions as time goes on and appreciate the knowledge base in this group.

bulldog76ss
on 7/10/15 7:58 am - OH

I was 59 when I had the RNY (10/15/13).  My highest was 561, had diabetes, irregular heart beat, nueropathy and high blood pressure.  My doctor wanted me to loose 50# on my own, which I did.  I am now off all drugs except a pill for diabetes which is still slightly high.  I am currently 239# with no problems.  Although I did not have a heart attack, I was surely dying from a multiple of things.  Now 61, I feel free and now know what I was missing when I was heavy.  You can find a lot of people here with the same issues as you.  Good Luck!

613Nan
on 7/10/15 8:35 am - Canada

Oh I am so happy for you.  What a great accomplishment for you to achieve.  You must be so happy to have resolved a lot of your health issues.  I think I am just having a little anxiety because this is so life changing and I do want it very much.  I think (tee hee) in my mind I am a young 61. LOL.  Hope the team see it that way.

Thanks for your encouragement and good luck with the journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics