Starting to change bad habits now

ProjectJudi
on 8/19/15 11:50 am - Burlington, Canada
I know I am going to have a long wait to actually get to the point of having surgery.
I don't want to carry on eating the way I do and want to get some healthy eating habits down before the surgery.
After you have surgery do you count carbs? calories?
~This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life ~
HKT53
on 8/19/15 12:35 pm - Toronto, Canada

I'm happy you are going to do something for yourself while waiting for surgery. I think it is great that you are working on the psychology aspect and breaking bad habits. I will not get into the long story why I know this works but believe me I just had RNY as a revision to a gastric stapling 25 years ago.. My advice to you from where I stand... After surgery you will be living by the rule....PROTEIN FIRST, THEN YOU CAN HAVE SOME VEGGIES and you will rarely have room after surgery for carbs. But for now until you have your surgery small amounts of carbs like a tablespoon of mashed potatoes or tablespoon of rice. Forget the bread, forget the snacks of carbs (have cucumber or celery sticks) cut out the carbonated drinks because after surgery you will not be able to have carbonated drinks. Drink water and lots of it. Every time you think you are hungry, have a glass of water first and wait ten/fifteen minutes before eating. If you have to eat, have protein (an egg or some meat). Don't drink when you sit down to eat a meal. cut out sugar. Don't count for now. Don't worry about how long you can do this for. Just give it a try and one day at a time. Every morning is a new day. Let me know how you are doing. I hate counting carbs and I hate counting calories. But having a tool like WLS certainly keeps you on track after surgery. Before you mindlessly put something in your mouth ask yourself...is this protein?...is this necessary? We all do this after surgery. It is easier because our stomachs are much smaller. 

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Karen M.
on 8/19/15 12:54 pm - Mississauga, Canada

There are a few really simple things that you can start with (although admittedly, "simple" does not equal "easy" sometimes lol):

1 - Well, you already did #1. You quit smoking and you are awesome for doing so!

2 - cut out pop, both full-sugar and diet

3 - cut out refined sugar

4 - carry a water bottle with you everywhere and sip all day long

As for post-op, I don't and never have, count calories. What you need to be counting are protein grams and carbohydrate grams. At least 75 grams of protein per day, no more than 30-35 grams of carbohydrates per day (in the losing phase). I still keep my protein high and my carbs low, no refined sugar.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics