Orthostatic Hypotension and Midodrine?

Dreamy74
on 10/1/15 10:40 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hello all!  I have recently discovered that I may have orthostatic hypotension after almost fainting last week.  I went to the GP the next day and had my blood pressure checked and it was 100/70.  I am wondering if any of you have ever had this after your gastric bypass and if so how did your doctor treat it?  For now I have been told to increase my salt intake by quite a lot and my carb intake by just a little bit to see if that helps but the next possible treatment would be for me to start taking a medication called midodrine.  Has anyone heard of this drug and/or been on it?  If so, what can I expect?  Thanks in advance.

~Dreamy

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

HKT53
on 10/1/15 11:15 am - Toronto, Canada

I'm not on midodrine yet. But my blood pressure goes even lower. Same as you, Ive been advised to increase salt intake and my carb intake for the next 10 days. I had blood work done yesterday and they will know better what to do with me. I am almost 11 weeks out. I will watch your strand to find out what we are both in for with midodrine.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Delicious_Delilah
on 10/1/15 3:43 pm - Ottawa, Canada

It was a big issue for me for the first 18 months to two years. I would get very dizzy whenever I stood up. I even passed out once.  I learnt that a slight lean forward at the waist quickly resolves it for me. And eventually, it seems to have cleared up. It only now happens very occasionally. I didn't pursue a drug option though did increase salt and carbs. Everyone is different though...so do continue the dialogue with your doctor and/or Centre. 

DD

Karen M.
on 10/1/15 3:48 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I'm on Midodrine for low blood pressure. I don't overindulge in salt, but I don't limit it either. I didn't increase my carb intake at all. It works well, no side effects for me at all.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Dreamy74
on 10/2/15 6:51 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Thank you for all of your replies. I had another episode yesterday so back to the doctor I go.

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Most Active
Recent Topics