MENU CRITIQUE???

ntensegirl
on 10/19/15 6:28 am - napanee, Canada
RNY on 10/06/15

HELLO..HERE IS MY MENU FOR TODAY (2 WEEKS OUT..WAS OK'D FOR PUREE/SOFT FOOD BY MY CENTRE)

B:premier Protein Chocolate Shake

S:source greek yogurt peach cup

L: 1/4 cup tuna with 1 tbsp of mayo and maybe a cheese string possibly

S: source greek yogurt strawberry cup

D: homemade shepherds pie with just hamburger, gravy, and mashed potatoes 1/4-1/2 cup (ALL TOGETHER)

have a great day everyone :)

PROTEIN:76 CARBS:38 FIBER:4 SUGARS:13 CALORIES: 653

HKT53
on 10/19/15 7:30 am - Toronto, Canada

Let me know how the shepherd's pie worked for you. I'm three months out and made shepherd's pie last night for the family. I took one bite and couldn't do it. Although everyone tells me try again another time and maybe it will work. I'm thinking its the gravy.

B: boiled egg and 30 ml of greek yogurt with a sprinkle of bran buds

S: 1/2 oz of white cheese and two crackers

L: Chicken salad

S: Vega protein shake

D: 2 oz of liver, 1 oz of string beans, 60 ml of mashed potato

BTW, I think you are doing grea****er hates me too.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Karen M.
on 10/19/15 7:11 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Forgive me, did you not already post this on the WAYE today thread for feedback? If you think it's the gravy, it is the gravy. Take a break from that.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Karen M.
on 10/19/15 7:17 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Sorry, not you. I realize you didn't post. My deepest apologies, I know you don't want my experienced feedback.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

This G.
on 10/19/15 7:35 am - Canada

This is only based on my personal experience and my nutrition consultations.

it's unclear from your menu if any of this is low fat / low cal or what else is added to your shep pie. butter in the potatoes?

String cheese has 6g of fat, 190mg of sodium. It does offer 7g of Protein but there are better foods available that would offer the same protein with less fat and sodium.

Mayo per tbsp has 10g of fat, 90 cal, 50mg sodium and 0g of protein. I used some fresh squeezed lemon on my tuna to help make it a bit softer, but it is pretty harsh still at this stage, take it slow and see how it goes. I wouldn't qualify it as a soft food.

the shep pie. Gravy offers no nutritional value at all. its 50cal, 5g fat and 200g sodium. I don't eat potatoes myself, but even if you were to leave out the gravy and switch to ground turkey it would make a huge difference.

Making it with ground beef and gravy it is 216mg sodium, and 9.5g protein.

No gravy and ground turkey it is 21mg sodium, and 21g protein.

Calories don't really matter at this stage, but sodium, sugar and fat do. They say if you go for high protein everything else falls into place. I think its true. ex, turkey vs beef.

again, this is only my personal opinion based on my adventure so far and my consultations with nutritionists. I hope this helps :) I found following those rules and walking a lot I have yet to stall.

Surgeon: Dr Hagen. Start Opti Aug 18th. Surgery Sept 1st 2015

Seyenna
on 10/19/15 7:51 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I think that I'd skip out on the potatoes, there's nothing useful in them. Everything else looks okay. The cheese might be a bit hard, I found it difficult early on but your mileage may vary.

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

ntensegirl
on 10/19/15 8:03 am, edited 10/19/15 1:04 am - napanee, Canada
RNY on 10/06/15

I had a premade shep pie last night...and it went fine..BUT..I decided to make one by scratch tonight...figured this way I would know what is in it...I am using low cal/low fat gravy I only have 13g of FAT for the whole day and only 13G of sugar for the whole day. on our plan we are allowed hard cheese in the puree stage (each plan is different) the cheese strings are good for me. been eating them about 3 days now.

oh and with the potatoes I add unflavoured protein

This G.
on 10/19/15 8:17 am - Canada

there are lots of low fat cheeses made with reduced fat and skim milk available for us that are tasty.

Surgeon: Dr Hagen. Start Opti Aug 18th. Surgery Sept 1st 2015

ntensegirl
on 10/19/15 8:21 am - napanee, Canada
RNY on 10/06/15

yes I know string cheese does come in low fat...plus it was only one string

crqvingchange
on 10/19/15 8:39 am

You numbers look good. My only caution is to try red meat, that isn't ground up, at home first just in case you have a hard time with it. Guelph wouldn't let us eat any kind of red meat for 6 months following surgery because it is harder to digest. I tried it at 5 1/2 months (I know, I'm such a rebel, lol) and had no problems.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Most Active
Recent Topics