The role of exercise -- some thoughts to share

Delicious_Delilah
on 11/2/15 9:39 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi All,

I just thought I would take a moment to share some recent observations I've made regarding exercise, weight loss and/or maintenance, and overall happiness.

First, I am now over three years out from surgery. My pre-opti weight was 416, and I lost (depending on the day or week), over 240-250 lbs). I feel fantastic, and am very physically active. I embraced the physical activity right after I got the all clear from the surgeon post-WLS, and pretty much haven't stopped since (except for a couple of additional surgeries over those three years). I swim, run, do kickboxing, do weight training, and a variety of other cardio-based activities.

I recently had a hiatus from physical activity due to a recent hernia repair. My most recent return to the gym and my observations made me want to share my experience.

I have always believed that the majority of weight loss comes from nutrition, with a smaller percentage of weight loss coming from physical activity -- like 10%. I still believe that to a large degree -- no changes without dietary adjustments. But I do think what is often overlooked is the mental state and the feeling of well-being from physical activity that plays an important role in our journeys.

After being on the couch for a little over five weeks (with the exception of walks), I finally got the all clear to get back into the gym (slowly). So I did just that this weekend. After 10 minutes of being on the elliptical, the overwhelming sense of happiness and well-being took me completely by surprise. It was like there was a veil over my mind, and I didn't even know it. The endorphins must have just started flooding my system, and wow, what a change. It was like a light switch going on in my brain and in my body.

Not only did I feel an overwhelming sense of well-being, but I found that later that day and night, I barely thought about food and snacking (whereas the last three weeks have been a struggle with constant thoughts of snacking). And that held true on Sunday evening as well following my hour long cardio workout in the afternoon. And not only that, my energy levels got a huge boost as well (whereas I had found myself falling asleep on the couch in the evenings!)

It's the first time I really noticed this dramatic change, and the impact of physical activity on my emotional and physical state ,and by extension, my eating habits. Maybe it's the first time I've paid attention. But I thought I would share this experience, for what it's worth. I strongly advocate for getting in the gym if you can. You might not notice anything dramatic like I did, but I really do think it play s an important part in our weight loss journey, maintenance, and overall mental well-being.

Thanks for reading!

DD

crqvingchange
on 11/2/15 1:04 pm

Very well said. Thank you for posting this.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Most Active
Recent Topics