My Fear

ProjectJudi
on 11/1/15 8:00 pm - Burlington, Canada
I really want to have WLS but I am so scared of regain.

I'm sure that I am addicted to food and I need to try to work on that now not later or there's no point in even having the surgery. I have lost 100 pounds 2x in the last 10 years and have gained it all back and then some.

I'm a binge eater and with me it's literally feast or famine...not much grey area.

I went to overeaters anonymous last week and I was the only over weight person in the room. Thew were all young women and they had different issues and were so thin. (I feel ashamed but when I left that meeting I almost wished I was in their shoes and that's pretty sick on my part)

I have been reading a lot of books on binge eating. Just wondering if you know of something out there that might be helpful. I can't afford a psychologist.

Any help of suggestions would be really appreciated
~This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life ~
tatirod
on 11/1/15 8:25 pm - Toronto, Canada

I dentifying the behaviours that cause to to overeat is a good first step. What emotions are you feeling (and filling) with food? Maybe talking to a psychologist one-on-one would be better than a group setting. Plus, the surgery is a too. You can still keep your old habits, but you will find your new stomach will be much less tolerant of the Big Mac, Large Fries, and Milkshake to wa**** down with.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/2/15 10:26 am

I hate to give you the bad news - but if you keep you old habits - eventually the reality will catch up with you. I am 7 years post op... I see people who still eat what the are before WLS , but in smaller quantity. And guess what ? 5-6 years post op they are almost at the same weight as before they had WLS.

Smaller qty of not correct food made them gain weight...not as fast as they would without WLS, but 20-30 lbs a year adds up..

If I am not careful - I can gain 10lbs in a couple of a weeks but it then takes me 1-2 months he to llose the regain, but only if I really really work hard on it...

It see s it is harder to lose weight now than before...

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tatirod
on 11/2/15 5:08 pm - Toronto, Canada

Yes, you are correct. There was a word missing... I meant to sayyid CAN'T keep your old habits.

typing on my iPad sucks, I have to be more careful.

thanks for catching.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

ProjectJudi
on 11/1/15 9:19 pm, edited 11/1/15 9:21 pm - Burlington, Canada
Patm
on 11/2/15 2:41 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You are smart to be concerned. Yes with surgery we can eat less but eating crap food like a big mac will still make you re-gain. WLS is all about using the tool you are given and making lifestyle changes.

I would suggest getting the referral but working with a psychologist at the WLS centre on your food issues before the surgery. This will be covered by health care so no cost to you.

Find a local WLS support group. Go and listen to what they have to say. Most groups have people in all stages of the journey.

You have recognised the problem. Good luck on finding a solution

elliecat
on 11/2/15 3:24 am - Canada

Judy ,the family health teams in ontario have counselling, dietician who have programs for these issues, please talk to your family doctor, all these services are covered by oHip. .we are all in this together!!!!!

Terri

Orientation HRRH Jan 26/15 Meet Dr. Starr June 11/15 Sleep Study June 22/15 Trio appt Aug 12/15 Transfer to Dr. Hagen Aug 4/15, Meet Dr. Hagen Aug 13/15, Dr. Glazer Aug 14/15! Surgery Sept 14/15

northernga1
on 11/2/15 5:35 am - Elliot Lake, Canada
On November 2, 2015 at 11:24 AM Pacific Time, elliecat wrote:

Judy ,the family health teams in ontario have counselling, dietician who have programs for these issues, please talk to your family doctor, all these services are covered by oHip. .we are all in this together!!!!!

look into a works shop called Craving Change it really was an eye opener for me on why we eat the way we eat, it is usually run by a social worker and dietician at a local family health team.

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/15 7:13 am

OA has online chat meetings which might be helpful since you don't have to see what the other people look like. Personally I didn't find in person or online meetings helpful but I took what I could from them and still occasionally attend.

I'm not sure if you're in the Toronto area but sheena's place has a few groups focused on bingeing which might be more up your alley. http://sheenasplace.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/FALL-2015 -Program-Calendar.pdf

The reality is that it's possible to gain back the weight but the hope is that through the pre op appointments and the surgery you have the tools to make better life long choices. you can also get referred for surgery and through the process see a psychologist 1:1 so you're ready/more prepared to deal with life after surgery.

CAWJAG
on 11/2/15 9:06 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi, I have used a book called "The Food and Feelings Workbook" by Karen R Koenig. This really helped me deal with the all or nothing way of life. It was recommended by the psychologist I worked with at TWH. There is something behind the binging, you need to identify it and what triggers it. I found that keeping a food/feeling journal really helped to figure it out.

Surgery @ TWH October 16, 2015. Dr. Jackson  Highest Weight 318,  Opti Start Weight 304,   Surgery Weight 285.  

Most Active
Recent Topics