How did you loose your 10-15%

Andream33
on 11/28/15 9:34 pm - Drayton Valley, Canada

So I was wondering if you had to loose 10-15% of your weight before surgery what worked best for you? 

Delicious_Delilah
on 11/29/15 5:40 am - Ottawa, Canada

There was no requirement to do that out of my Centre. I don't know of any Centre that required 10-15% weight loss. They encouraged positive changes. In particular, they did want to see that you could make some changes with your diet (ie get rid of carbonated beverages, eat balanced meals, etc.), but that's about it. 

DD

KerryF.
on 11/29/15 6:23 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

Ontario hospitals don't have that requirement. But it looks like you are in Alberta and they might have that, and other variances to the program. Our programs is paid by provincial health insurance so we have to follow their rules.

Welcome to the Ontario Message Board!!! it is the most busiest board here for Canada and you will find lots of tips and a great support group, just make sure you follow your hospital guidelines.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Andream33
on 11/29/15 7:18 am - Drayton Valley, Canada

Ok thank you for the info.  Alberta Health covers here to. But a lot of the doctors ask for you to loose 10-15% depending on the clinic. 

roxytrim
on 11/29/15 7:37 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Welcome to the life changing process.  To directly answer your question, for me I started practicing the tools I would use after surgery.

• chew each bite 15-20 times, your tastebuds are in your mouth so you get the most satisfaction
  • Start logging on My Fitness Pal or some other free application to monitor intake, you can set your daily calorie count to something below 2000, like 1700, this is doable & log EVERYTHING
  • Eat dense protien first, then vegs, then few carbs
  • Cut out cafeine, booze & smoking - if applicable
  • Start moving, even just a little but don't get caught up into thinking this burns off lots of calories 'cause it doesn't but it is part of a positive lifestyle
  • Read, learn, ask on this site to prepare yourself for what is ahead.

These few adjustsments worked for me & kept me focused.  I didn't pressure myself because that would just have the same results as all my previous dieting - I just kept it to a few simple rules & managed to get rid of just over 10%.

Best to you on your journey.

HKT53
on 11/29/15 9:33 am - Toronto, Canada

Everything that Roxy trim said is really the greatest advice. Make life changes now and after surgery you will already have the right mind frame. For me, I found that I could loose 10%-15% prior to surgery, by keeping one rule in mind. Everything I prepared to eat or when I went out to eat. Excluding protein like chicken and fish....DON'T EAT ANYTHING WHITE OR MADE FROM WHITE. That excludes breads & pizza, potatoes, cookies, cakes, starches, sugars and even corn (i.e. popcorn). If it is white or made primarily from a food that is white, put it down and grab protein or veggies. Its not a perfect solution but when you go to see your surgeon, he asks how you managed to lose this weight, tell him "I DIDNT EAT ANYTHING WHITE" Good luck and remember after surgery your life will be Protein first, veggies second and just a tiny bit of carbs -- Great advice from Roxytrim.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

lking
on 12/1/15 5:58 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

My center says a minimum of 60g of protein daily (protein shakes, 4-6ozs of cooked meat or fish per meal).  As for veggies, no corn or peas. I eat a lot of raw baby carrots.  Also, no fruit or fruit juices.  Berries and small apples (no more than 1/day) are permitted.  The important thing is to weigh & measure everything, drink a minimum of 64ozs of water daily, and track everything that goes into your mouth.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

iceblaze3k
on 11/29/15 3:26 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/18/15

Just do Optifast.

Patm
on 11/30/15 6:19 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

In Ontario Opti can only be obtained by prescription. also I would not wi**** on my worst enemy. It does not always give you the best weight loss and certainly does not help set up a new way of eating

Seyenna
on 11/30/15 10:43 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Does your clinic have a pre-op diet of sorts, like Optifast? We're required to drink these high protein shakes with little else, and it's almost guaranteed to make you lose a bit of weight. You could try something like that. Personally, I skipped Opti and used Premier Protein shakes instead - they are cheaper, lower in calories, etc.

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Most Active
Recent Topics