York/GTA Holiday Party - LAST MEETING! 12/13 @ 2:30

andreadoe
on 12/7/15 6:03 am - Newmarket, ON, Canada

It's time to Par-Tay! and celebrate all our successes over the last 7 years!

The York Region/GTA OH Support Group will hold its final Holiday Party on Sunday, December 13th, starting at 2:30.

This is truly a time to celebrate. When the group started over 7 years ago, it clearly filled a gap for WLS support. At the time, many WLS patients were referred to hospitals in the US. After their surgery, they had no after-care support. Even those of us who had surgery in Ontario had limited support group options here. Since then, things have changed. First, almost all surgery is performed here in Ontario. Second, most hospitals performing WLS are offering their own support groups. The gap our group was created to close is no longer there & this is reflected in the dwindling numbers. So, after much reflection & discussion, we've decided that it's time to wrap things up with a holiday bow. With that said, I will meet this day with mixed emotions. I have met so many wonderful people through this group & will miss this opportuntity to see you. But, I also feel like the WLS birds are leaving the nest. So, I choose to feel proud, not sad.

With that said, here are the details for the Holiday Party. Please make an effort to celebrate with us:

Location: Langstaff Community Centre - Craft Room, 155 Red Maple Road, Richmond Hill, ON

Fee: $10

No Clothing Exchange

Food: This will be a pot luck event. Please bring a dish of food (appetizer or main course or dessert or a snack). I will bring cards so you can indicate whether your item is full sugar or sugar free, or if they are vegetarian or not. Please remember to bring serving utensils for your dish. There are plenty of electrical outlets to plug in crock pots, but no kitchen for heating things up. The following will be provided: music, plastic cutlery, paper plates, napkins, foam cups, bottled water, pop, coffee & tea.

Gift Exchange Game: We will play a Gift Exchange Game so please bring a wrapped, inexpensive gift (approx value $10-$15), if you want to play. Participation is absolutely voluntary. If this is your first time playing the game, we'll explain the rules at the party. We've done this a few times & it's always a lot of fun. I will be adjusting the rules a bit, just to change things up. And remember: There's no crying during the "Gift Exchange Game"!

We are really looking forward to seeing you all, and the more the merrier. Please feel free to let everyone in the wider WLS-community know.

Happy holidays everyone.

Andrea

OH Certified Support Group Leader for the York Region/GTA Support Group.
ohcardsmandrea.jpg picture by lynnca1972

kellybelly333
on 12/9/15 3:37 pm - Toronto, Canada

You should be very proud Andrea! It was something I always looked forward to, and life got busy the past few years. For everyone. I'm glad that there is still great support through the centres (which wasn't there when most patients were being sent to the States for surgery). 

I have been a bit under the weather, but I got a bunch of meds to take today, so I should be able to make it.

Kelly

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics