Not excited...

Hidingaway
on 12/13/15 9:48 am

I've been told by a few that things seem to be progressing along quicker for me than it did for others.. Referral Oct/Nov, Orientation Nov, Sleep Study Dec and my app to meet my nurse Practioner is Jan.. Is it normal to not feel excited? To actually not feel anything about the prospect of losing so much weight and regaining my life back? I hear others say how excited they are etc, but I don't feel that way. I'm not scared, regretting pursuing this, nervous.. I'm just nothing I guess you could say. 

HKT53
on 12/13/15 11:00 am - Toronto, Canada

CFunny how it seems to be clipping along quicker than expected one week and then forever delayed the next. Its could be the time of year. Everything and everybody is in holiday mode and no time for anything. So my friend now is the time to explore these feelings of not excited and look to see if it is because you mentally wishing to stay obese and eat your way to depression. Sounds crude but you need to find out why you couldn't care about changing your health and body and mind for the better. 

SorryI wasn't here or you last week. I explored being on an all inclusive trip and not eating my way to sickness. I found out that less stress allowed my to stick to the plan and digest foods without being sick. You see everybody maybe in a different stage on this forum, but we are all exploring and learning. If you are not ready for this surgery, you can always say no. Let this holiday season pass before you throw in the towel.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

birdiegirl
on 12/13/15 2:20 pm

I would be concerned.   It's very important that you go into surgery with determination to succeed and the realization that this is your last chance.

I would give my position up to someone who is really mentally ready for surgery.  Take some time to make sure this is critical for you .  Otherwise you may be setting yourself up for failure 

MyLifeRNYWay
on 12/13/15 2:54 pm
RNY on 12/04/15

It's normal to feel this way, but I agree with above, take your time and think about it. I went through different stages too. My first appointment with the social worker I was actually going to cancel, but then my husband said why won't you just go and see and I'm grateful to him now being 9 days post op. I feel so much better already having lost 22 lbs from the time I started my Opti and I'm committed. I just sat with my family while they're having yummy home cooked dinner, myself enjoying 1/4 cup cottage cheese and I was happy. I'm still the same person, I can still sit with my family at dinner, but I now have this tool which will allow me to be here longer and have a healthy body and mind :) Don't give up!

Referral: Aug 27/14, Orientation TWH: Jan 28/15, Social Worker: Apr 17/15, Nurse Practitioner: Jul 9/15, Nutrition Class: Jul 14/15, Psychologist: Aug 18/15, Nutritionist: Aug 28/15, Surgeon: Oct 2/15, RNY Surgery: Dec 4/15

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/15 3:02 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

You are still in the process of getting approved so maybe being aloof about it is just your way of coping with waiting to get approved.  I don't get too excited for much and likely was feeling nothing until I finally knew I was going ahead with it then the feelings came on. Once you get the green light and have a surgery date, if you feel nothing then, then I'd definitely not be going further.  You should feel something by that point but for now with just playing the waiting game and doing the rounds, it may be a way of protecting yourself from disappointment in case they turn you down for one reason or another.

Jennellybean
on 12/13/15 3:03 pm - Canada

I, too, have gone through the program quite quickly. There have definitely been points along the way where I've been scared (terrified even), nervous, and thought "What the hell am I doing to myself?" When I was cooking one time I needed to measure out a cup of something. I saw the measurement of one cup and thought, "This is going to be the max. I'm allowed to eat at one time. Ever. Forever." I cried. It's been a roller coaster of emotions. However, what's been getting me through has been the fact that I'm SO excited. Whenever I start thinking negatively, or get scared, I think about all of the AMAZING things this surgery will hopefully help me work towards. 

The fact that you're feeling "meh", is worrisome. To understand the seriousness and permanence of this procedure should induce some kind of feeling. Whether it be fear, uncertainty, excitement, etc. I'm not going to suggest that perhaps you're not ready, because I don't know you, but I do think that you should most definitely mention this when you go in for your social worker and/or psychologist appointment.

Everyone goes through this journey experiencing different things, and thus "normalcy" is not the question to focus on. In order to be successful, however, you need that passion and drive to move forward, or else you'll just fall into old habits and achieve less than what you are capable of. 

Referral: April 28 2015 Orientation: July 29 2015 Social Worker: September 1 2015 Nurse Practitioner: September 16 2015 Nutrition Class: October 20 2015 Psychologist November 11 2015 Dietitian November 17 2015 Meet the Surgeon December 11 2015 Surgery January 26 2016

sfayad
on 12/13/15 4:47 pm - Canada

I'm not sure if what you say is what you feel. I like to think you have taken this process seriously enough that you do care. You have progressed quickly through the program and now you see the end to parts of this journey. 

Once you have your surgeons appt and have a surgical date I don't think it's possible to feel nothing. 

Im booked for surgery in January and can hardly wait for the day to come. To have such a long process and not feel happy about finally losing the weight that has affected your life all theses years. 

So to say you feel nothing. I think you will. 

I wish you luck and hope you take the time to realize what you have accomplished and what journey your about to enter. 

I wish you luck 

simon

iluvlemon
on 12/13/15 6:27 pm
RNY on 01/18/16

Hi Hiding....

I agree with Tracey 112205

In my opinion, from what I read in your post, I don't get that you aren't ready or maybe not committed.   I too felt (or didn't feel) the same way you do.    Nothing is firm along the way until u see the surgeon and they give you the date.   And even things van change for crazy reasons but it is still possible.   I got VERY excited once I got my call for my surgeon appt.   Then it got real.   Never once was I not committed. There was lots? of unknowns and so much to absorb.   Lots to keep us busy over the months of this part of the journey.   ?Although my entire process from doc referral to surgery has been right around the 12 month mark I went from orientation to 1st nurse appt in just over a week.  Everyone is different, each centre is different and it's not a race to see who can get through the process fastest.  This is about you. A very selfish experience.  Somewhat of a risk (as with all surgeries) but also a very amazing opportunity to repair something that impacts every second of every day of our lives and brings with it a lot of emotional baggage usually. ? When you get to the appt with the social worker...run it by them....talk it out-it could be something else completely.  I wouldn't be too concerned though.    My surgery is Jan 18th and I have been very excited since Nov 20th when I saw the surgeon. But up until that date and my surgery date I just stayed the course and did what I had to do.     Hope the feedback from all of us has helped out.   Cheers!! :)

@GUELPH GH*Orientation:Feb 26/15*RN:Mar 2/15*NUT&SW:Apr 13/15*NUT RN SW Jun 25/15*NUT Jul 30/15*Surgeon list Sept 30/15*Post Op Nut Class Nov 16/15*Appt wi surgeon Dr Natasha P-Hong Nov 20/15*PATTS Jan 5/16 745am*Start Opti Jan 4/16*Surgery January 18/16 Dr Jules 1030am*

Most Active
Recent Topics