Lowest weight in 25 years

betony63
on 12/20/15 8:10 am

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in awhile but I lurk regularly :)

Just wanted to share that this morning my scale read 196.5 - down from my starting weight of 290 pounds. I'm determined to hit 100 pounds lost by my first surgi-versary on January 22. My weight loss has been slower than some, possibly because I previously had a lapband. Also, I've gone through a separation this year and been off my feet with a broken ankle for the past two months. But I will get there!

For everyone just starting the journey: Have faith! This surgery works when you work it!

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

crqvingchange
on 12/20/15 10:31 am

Great post Betony.  You've been through a lot, but you've stuck with it.  You are doing great and I know you will reach that 100 pound milestone, and when you do, we'll celebrate with a tea and coffee - my treat.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

betony63
on 12/23/15 10:30 am

Thanks CC! Your support and example has meant a lot to me during this journey :) Looking forward to getting together!

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

crqvingchange
on 12/23/15 10:36 am

Anytime Betony, and I look forward to seeing you again. 

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Patm
on 12/21/15 6:40 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You are doing great. I am sure you will get to your 100 lbs with your determination

betony63
on 12/23/15 10:28 am

Thanks Pat! And thanks for being one of the vets who's always willing to help us newbies!

sfayad
on 12/25/15 5:24 pm - Canada

Hi betony63:

congrats on your weight loss you have done amazing. Just wanted to know where you had your surgery.  I'm booked to have surgery Jan 25/16 and I too have also have a lap band. 

My surgeon plans on taking out the lapband and then doing the  RNY. 

Did your surgeon do both at once. 

My dr stated that he has booked 3.5 hrs of OR time and said if all looks good he will remove the band and do the RNY 

he also said that there s a chance that he may just do the band and then return in 8 weeks to do the RNY 

he then seen how upset I was and offered the option of doing both. 

What was your experience and did you have any issues. 

Its hard to find people who have had the same experiences.

Please tell me your experience.

Thx again

Simon 

betony63
on 12/26/15 7:37 pm

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the kind words. My surgery was done in Guelph by Dr. Reed.He's been doing the surgery a long time and I think they assigned me to him in case there were any issues left by the band.

My band was taken out 3 years previously but I was worried that there might be a lot of scar tissue as I'd had it in for 9 years. Dr. Reed told me not to worry - he would just make the pouch slightly bigger if he encountered a lot of scarring. I'm not actually sure if he did make it bigger, but I haven't had any problems with it and still fill up fast :)

I wish you all the best for a trouble-free surgery. Let us know how it goes!

sfayad
on 12/26/15 8:59 pm - Canada

Hi betony63: 

thanks for your reply. I know dr reed quite well and has an amazing reputation. He is definitely one of the best and I know that he has removed lab bands and done revisions at once. 

Im hoping that my lap band and RNY can be done at once. My dr is Jules foute Nelong and is a very experienced surgeon. 

He said he has never done both at once and when he seen I was upset he stated if all look good he would do both. Weather he does or not I don't know. I've only had the band since 2013 and am hoping I'll have minimal damage at the site. I'm hoping all goes well with the surgery as it would really suck to have to wait and do a second surgery. 

Betony : great chatting with you and keep I touch ok 

just want to know if you have heard of others who have had the same revision 

thanks for the great info 

chow 

Simon

betony63
on 12/27/15 11:10 am

Hi Simon,

I think revisions are getting to be pretty common as more and more people have their bands removed. There's a search function at the top of the page (little magnifying glass icon to the left of your user name) that you can use to find lots of posts about band-to-RNY revisions.

Since your band is relatively new there hopefully won't be much damage, as you say. But if Dr Foute-Nelong does have to do two surgeries, I hope you won't be too disappointed. Better to go into this as healthy as you can be! I know it sucks to wait but you can do this! :)

All the best!

Betony

Most Active
Recent Topics