5 years out need advice

mlm105
on 1/12/16 6:25 pm - Mainland,NS, Canada

hey ,

i had had my surgery 5 years ago in Nova Scotia. I now reside in kntario my starting weight was 235 lbs on a 5'3 body with plenty of health conditions to boot.  

I got got down to my goal weight of 136 lbs . Yay me :) 

However after the birth of my child in early 2014 I am not at 158 lbs . I feel nauseous almost like hunger nausea most of the time and feeling like I'm not full. I want to combat this now . I tried calling te local bariatric clinic and they said due to government funding they only do follow up with patients for 5 years. For me that expired in Dec 2015.  I need a step by step list of what to try ur meal plans , help available and etc 

thank you

Karen M.
on 1/12/16 6:58 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Hi there,

Welcome back :)

I'm 5'3" too - and had surgery 10 years ago. My best advice is this:

1. Back to basics - at least 75g of protein per day, no more than 35g carbs, NO sugar, avoid white carbs, eat healthy fats (no need to limit them, honestly).  This may take some white-knuckling - breaking the carb thing can be a real *****
  2. Daily tracking of intake - myfitnesspal, whatever it takes - join us on the what are you eating thread
  3. You know how to do this, and your body knows - you need to get back into planning and being accountable.

Let me know if you need specifics.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

mlm105
on 1/12/16 7:47 pm - Mainland,NS, Canada

Thanks for the reply Karen. 

Can an the proteins be in the form of shakes ? Should i try mostly the liquid diet for a while ? I seen some people go back to the liquids for a week 

Karen M.
on 1/13/16 3:02 am - Mississauga, Canada

Some people do that, you're right. I'm not a huge believer in going strictly back to all liquids because they're too hungry and often sort of give up on it. Having said that, I still drink 1 protein shake per day first thing in the morning - my gut isn't ready for food at that point.

There is a program called the 5 day pouch test (free, online - it's just a menu plan) that does start with just liquids (protein shakes) the first 2 days and then increases the ratio of more solid proteins as the days progress.  I've done it a few times, but NOT to "shrink my pouch" as the author claims - that's utter bull**** no one can "shrink" their pouch.  What I have used the 5 day thing for is kicking carbs to the curb - it actually does help a lot with that. The first couple of days suck but once I've detoxed a little from the carbs and can start adding other proteins, it's actually rather enjoyable, believe it or not. lol

Here's a link for you - http://5daypouchtest.com/

**DO NOT think that this will miraculously shrink your pouch, cause you to drop many pounds, get you completely back on track, or anything else the author falsely claims. Also, DO NOT buy her book or purchase a thing - it's completely unnecessary.

Have a look and let me know what you think - I'm happy to help you get started.

Karen

Karen

Karen M.
on 1/13/16 3:14 am - Mississauga, Canada

One other thing I meant to mention to you - the "hunger nauseous" that you're feeling - are you on a PPI? (acid reducer meds) A lot of times, acid/heartburn-type symptoms feel like hunger. You may want to check that out with your Dr.

Karen

Catw
on 1/13/16 5:11 am - Arnprior, Canada

Karen has given you a lot of great advice.  When journaling your food/activity also journal when, and how you feel.  You might find some trends that you need to change to help you with this.  Also, if you find going right back to basics scary, I would suggest not changing anything for a week except journaling, then you can look at the journal to see where you really are.  You know where you need to be, so then you can set small goals to get from A to B.  If your water is low, work on increasing your water by a glass a day until you get to where you want to be.  Same with any other changes you can see you need to make.  Small goals are easier to achieve, and easier to maintain.

Also, see if there is a support group near you, and join it.  Having people to talk to in person who have gone through this may help. You can also check with your doctor to see if there are any courses/information sessions you can go to such as "Craving Change" etc.

Cathy

Chickenboob
on 1/13/16 6:01 pm - Rockland, Canada

Welcome fellow Nova Scotian! I also regained  and had the same symptoms as you. Way to get on it now. KAren has given you great advice. I thought I was hungry, but it was too many carbs and a tiny ulcer. puttign food on it made the pain go away, so that's why I thought it was hunger. I have lost 37 pounds of my regain and still quite a bit to go, but it can be done!

K

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Karen M.
on 1/14/16 3:35 am - Mississauga, Canada

I was wondering how you were doing - huge congrats on the 37 pound regain loss!

Karen

Chickenboob
on 1/17/16 3:36 pm - Rockland, Canada

Hi Karen, doing great. Broke a vertebra recently, but I didn't let the stop me. I stayed on plan. I'm into the smallest item of clothing I own now so i'm excited.

I told the nutritionist to go bleep herself after she told another nutritionist in front of me that I clearly didn't have a grip on reality for not being happy at 255 pounds, since I fit their guidelines. So now I follow my own path and ignore the nay sayers.

I have found my backbone and regained my spirit.

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Karen M.
on 1/17/16 3:40 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I am so happy to hear that! (Not about your broken vertebra!)

Keep doing what you're doing, it's working.

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics