Cross-post - 10 year old RNY malfuntion

Karen M.
on 1/16/16 3:14 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I don't post this to scare anyone. I simply want to share what's happened to me, and my 10 year old RNY. If you have an "old" RNY - 2010 or prior - take note.

Here's what can happen.

When they do surgery, they cut into the small bowel mesentery to assist with surgery. The mesentery is the connecting tissue to the organ. Once upon a time, many years ago, they thought it would be okay to leave the defect they created, allowing the intestine/small bowel to loop through it and back out - no problem, apparently.  Problem. The intestine can get caught and herniated through it, strangling it and causing immense pressure, not only on the intestine, but also the bowel and the colon.  How did they know this? The most invasive, disgusting CT with rectal (that's right, rectal) contrast. Twice.

I presented at the ER on December 10th with a suspected bowel obstruction. I'd had one before, in 2012, that was treated without surgery - NG tube for a wee****il it righted itself. Bleah. I had taken Lactulose at home to try to "get things moving", which it eventually did several hours later. The surgeon on-call deemed it a partial obstruction that had started to clear itself and sent me (gratefully) home. Problem "solved".

Not so much.

I went back to the ER on the 13th around dinner time with the same, but worsening, symptoms. I am forever grateful that the surgeon on-call that night had actually been trained in bariatrics at the Mayo Clinic during his internship, so at least he knew what would be "normal" in my abnormal guts. He also thankfully consulted with my RNY surgeon from 2006, who advised him of the change that has been made in the "way they do things" in there.

My intestines, and bowel, were completely corkscrewed. My small intestine had looped through the small bowel mesentery (defect) and had strangulated, causing immense pressure on my bowel and my colon, which in turn had been ballooned up to football size and was severely damaged.

Emergency surgery at 2 AM to fix this, 4 hour surgery. Half of my colon removed, mesentery closed, intestines sectioned and reconnected, and voila! New frankenguts. I am also grateful that the surgeon took extra time to ensure that I wouldn't need a colostomy bag or anything so terrible. Thank you.

Anyway. It's been a journey. I'm now back to work, feeling good mostly.

Honestly, I don't mean to "scare". But it's something for us old-timers to be aware of. Don't ignore something "wrong" in there. It is.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

birdiegirl
on 1/16/16 3:57 pm

Thanks for sharing.   

Karen M.
on 1/16/16 3:59 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Unpleasant, I know.

It can/does happen. I'm now curious as to how many others of us have been affected by it. I'm not the only old-timer out there.

Karen

birdiegirl
on 1/16/16 4:04 pm

that was a sincere "thanks for sharing."

Not sure how mine was done at almost 7 years out.  The article from Sharma you posted the other day mentioned the Ontario program beginning April 2009 to current.  My surgery was April 1, 2009  at 8 a.m.  I guess I was patient number 1 in the program.  So far so good for me re complications that are specifically surgery related 

Karen M.
on 1/16/16 4:11 pm, edited 1/16/16 8:11 am - Mississauga, Canada

I was thinking of you specifically actually. The defect they create is due to the laparoscopic methodology. I know you're still receiving follow-up at your request - it wouldn't hurt to ask, out of curiosity, if they closed the defect they created in doing the surgery. Not that it will make any difference - but it would be an explanation should you ever develop issues.

P.S. I haven't had issues at all with my 10 year old RNY - I had no inkling at ALL that my problem would have anything at all to do with my old RNY. Everything has been perfect up 'til now. Go figure.

Karen

White Dove
on 1/16/16 4:15 pm - Warren, OH

Karen,

I am so sorry you are going through this.  I had surgery in 2007 so probably high risk for something like this happening.  Thanks for sharing.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Karen M.
on 1/16/16 4:20 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Honestly, I thought of you and Birdiegirl and Kim and Lora and Laura. The old-timers like us would never think that an issue could be due to our old weight loss surgeries.

Thank you.

Karen

judyeliz
on 1/16/16 4:44 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

Wow!  Karen, it just goes to show how serious this surgery is, and is for many, and all, the years to come.  

Also, how important it is to know the details of your surgery, and to find the right medical care, for our particular "frankenguts".

Thank you for sharing.  You must have been so sick.  If you don't mind me asking, will having half of your colon removed, have any significant effects on your health?

You are a trooper, and have now chocked up a ton more experience to add to your "vet status".

Take care 

judy

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

Karen M.
on 1/16/16 4:45 pm - Mississauga, Canada

No idea, to be honest. So far so good, I guess? Everything is working as it should.

Karen

judyeliz
on 1/16/16 4:48 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

Happy to hear that, you have been through a lot.

judy

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

Most Active
Recent Topics