Puncture wound pain

Dar_Tay
on 1/23/16 6:19 am - Canada

I'm 6 days post op from RNY snd dealing with some pretty severe pain in the puncture wound under my left breast. The others are tender but no problem at all. Everything looks good. No signs of an abcess starting,  no fever. I'm passing gas well and had a nice soft bm. No vomiting.  I'm just really short of breath and unable you take a deep breath when the pain is at its worse. Percs every 4 hrs control it along with ice to the area. I would love to not be on the percs!! 

Has anyone else experienced this? . 

I did some research and read that most of the work is done on the left side so maybe this is normal? 

I will def get in touch with my surgeon on Monday if no better. 

Patm
on 1/23/16 6:24 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

This is normal. It is where most of the work is done. Give it a few days

Leslie W.
on 1/23/16 6:29 am - Cobourg, Canada

I had really severe pain from that site for 3 weeks. Then one day gone. I actually had an indent where you could see the stitch. Lots of work done in that area

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
MonaLisaSmile
on 1/23/16 6:53 am - Canada

Sounds like you are recovering well!  Yup, that left side stays tender for quite a while but you will likely feel it getting better as days pass.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

sfayad
on 1/23/16 11:34 am - Canada

yes this is something to watch for sure ;you are a fresh surgery and only 6 days post op

please be aware that recovery takes time ,as long as you have no fever and the site is clean and not red then all is due to your surgery

to be sore and tender is normal,whst is not normal is your ability to breathe, there is a lot of activity with this surgery and a lot on the left side ,

all is good all that concern me is your ability to breath, if its just difficulty taking a deep breath then ok

im sure this is all related to your surgery

yes see your doctor and follow up with him

but all looks normal post op issues

be sure to follow up with your doctor

good luck

simon

Dar_Tay
on 1/23/16 2:05 pm - Canada

Thanks so much everyone and also to my mentor Karen for your private message :) I feel better knowing this appears to be a normal part of the recovery process for this surgery. I've had about 3 laparoscopic surgeries in the past and never experienced it this bad.

Simon, the SOB is def worse with taking a deep breath, because I can't due to the pain. If I'm at rest I'm better but still can't fully inflate those dang lungs. I'm walking more today and using my spirometer!  Hopefully tomorrow will be better. 

Lisajean57
on 1/25/16 9:06 am - Canada

I had my surgery Jan 15th and it is still tender there as well. Pain was unreal 2 days after surgery, I thought I had punctured an lung and Dr Galzer did not want to send me home unless I had a cat scan. I also had shortness of breath.

Most Active
Recent Topics