4 Years (Photos)

Freddy_Fender
on 1/31/16 3:28 am - Elginburg, Canada

Hi everyone,

Haven't been here for a couple of years, and my apologies.

My 4 year anniversary date is coming up in 2 weeks and thought I would check in and say hello.

Things are going well, but for anyone waiting for their surgery date, I can't stress the following enough:

This is just a tool, and if you want to remain successful, you HAVE to do the work. Weight has been a lifelong struggle for me, and even to this day, I exercise an hour a day, eat an extremely healthy diet (Vegan & Gluten Free) and I never take anything for granted.

The instant I take a break or stop doing the work, I can feel the weight creeping back up and my jeans getting tighter. You guys who are waiting, please try to wrap your head around the fact that you must do the work to succeed and you only get once chance at this, so make it count. I hope im not preachy but a few times over the last 4 years I've let my weight creep up about 20 pounds because I got comfortable and it scared the heck out of me, and now I just don't mess around anymore. I will be 50 in a few months and want to live for as long as I can. 

The medical problems and illnesses ive overcome since being on this journey would seem like a miracle, but that's how powerful diet and exercise are, and what you put into your body and how you treat it will pay huge dividends.

Take a look at my before photos, that guy used to eat crap on a regular basis and how I survived is a sheer miracle, but one thing about your  body is that if you start eating right and putting good stuff into it, things will turn around and quickly, your body is forgiving more than youll ever know.

The things that are important to me now are so much different from 4 years ago. I think what I love more than anything now is the chance to walk, hike, bike and explore new places on foot. I spend a lot of time in Vancouver, and I regularly walk 20 kilometers a day when im on vacation. The old Freddy, that guy would drive across the street and buy $40 worth of sugary snacks, now im so careful of what I put into this body of mine.

The more I take care of it, the more it motivates me. I can't change all the bad decisions I made in the past, how poorly I treated myself and all the crap I used to eat, but I can change now, and if you take care of today, tomorrow will take care of itself.

Regards to all.

Show strangers kindess....cause they may become friends    
Canadajet
on 1/31/16 5:05 am

Great advice and a good reminder that you need to remain focused and make a conscious effort to change those bad habits.  You look fantastic by the way and healthy

Patm
on 1/31/16 5:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Congratulations. I am also 4 years out and agree with your advice. I think some people go into this not realizing the amount of work it will always be.

Zizzler
on 1/31/16 6:39 am

Thank you so much for posting this, I am 1.5 years out and it is truly sinking in that this is a lifelong commitment.  I knew that logically from having been on the board for years but still the first year after surgery seemed so magical that its easy to get carried away and off track.  I find exercise really helps me to stay on track with my eating, and eating well helps me be able to exercise.  Thanks again and congratulations on 4 years of success.

tatirod
on 1/31/16 5:58 pm - Toronto, Canada

Way to go!

thanks for sharing, the inspiration, and motivational advice.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

inkedgirl73
on 2/1/16 6:28 am - Canada

Great post!  A good reminder that WLS isn't just a free pass to lose the pounds....it still takes work and being very conscious of what we put in our mouths!

luvmuzik
on 2/3/16 11:58 am

Hi, I'm new to this site. Am waiting for surgery date. This is a very inspiring and motivational post.

Thanks for sharing and making the point very clear that it's a life long commitment of lifestyle changes.

Congratulations on your achievements and continued success!

luvmuzik
on 2/3/16 11:58 am

Hi, I'm new to this site. Am waiting for surgery date. This is a very inspiring and motivational post.

Thanks for sharing and making the point very clear that it's a life long commitment of lifestyle changes.

Congratulations on your achievements and continued success!

Most Active
Recent Topics