Surgiversary

denise_norman
on 2/29/16 6:03 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/29/12

hi everyone, it has been awhile since I have been on here. Today I celebrate four years of my RNY. It has been a roller coaster this year and I have gained 30 of the 117 I originally lost. But I am trying to get back into the swing of things. I never thought I would get one to fall off the band wagon but I did! Here is to another successful year!

Referal: March 2011                   Orientation: TWH July 21,20
11           Nurse Practitioner:Sept. 6,2011
Sleep Clinic Test: Sept. 11,2011 Sleep Clinic Result:
Sept. 27, 2011   Social Worker: Oct.. 19, 2011   
Nutrition Class: Nov.1,2011        Diabetis Assessment: Nov. 01, 2011  Dietitian: Dec. 02, 2011 
Psychologist: Dec. 06, 2011       Surgeon Meeting: Jan. 21, 2012        RYN Surgery Date: Feb. 29, 2012

avivaps
on 3/1/16 3:32 am
RNY on 02/28/12

Hi Denise,

My 4 years was Sunday so your post drew my eye immediately.  Good for you for taking the time to post here.  I find that saying my goals out loud to someone, anyone, commits me more to actualizing them.  I had some trouble with regain too and got myself to weigh****chers to help get me back on track which really helped (not saying this is how you should do it too, only that making some sort of commitment NOW rather than after another 10 lbs is the secret to success IMO).  

I think many/most of us will struggle with some form of regain as the head stuff is pretty hard to completely eradicate. However, if we catch ourselves before more damage is done we can regulate ourselves and help prevent getting to close to where we started off.

Look at all the things that helped you in the past and marshall as many resources/supports as you can to get you back on track.

Good luck with everything and hopefully will "meet" you back here in a year feeling good, being healthy and having worked your way back to a place you are content with.

Best wishes,

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

denise_norman
on 3/1/16 5:52 am - Canada
RNY on 02/29/12

Hi Andrea, thanks! It has been a rough year but it is up to me to take it back. I really appreciate your response. See you in one year!

denise

Referal: March 2011                   Orientation: TWH July 21,20
11           Nurse Practitioner:Sept. 6,2011
Sleep Clinic Test: Sept. 11,2011 Sleep Clinic Result:
Sept. 27, 2011   Social Worker: Oct.. 19, 2011   
Nutrition Class: Nov.1,2011        Diabetis Assessment: Nov. 01, 2011  Dietitian: Dec. 02, 2011 
Psychologist: Dec. 06, 2011       Surgeon Meeting: Jan. 21, 2012        RYN Surgery Date: Feb. 29, 2012

spitintheocean
on 3/1/16 8:33 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 02/13/12

Hi Denise, your post caught my eye as well since my 4 year anniversary was February 14.

Congratulations on recognizing your slippage early enough so the journey back shouldn't be too painful. I have had my share of struggles with attaining my original goal weight following the RNY and after losing only 67 pounds in the first six months post surgery, regained 30 pounds by the end of the first year. I ended up ordering Optifast online and again lost 34 pounds in little over a month. Life was good.

Unfortunately since the summer of 2013, poor dietary choices and a continuing sedentary lifestyle left me regaining 81 pounds by the Fall of 2015. Once again, I went back on Optifast and 18 weeks later lost 86 pounds to put me back into my determined pursuit towards my goal weight.

You are not alone in your continuing struggle but we're rooting for your success.

Patm
on 3/1/16 9:33 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Not sure if you are continuing to see the dietitian at your centre but I would strongly suggest it. Opti is fine but it does not teach you haow to eat.

Good luck

spitintheocean
on 3/1/16 10:24 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 02/13/12

Thanks for taking a moment to provide constructive advice in a non-moralizing manner. Too often in the past when I revisit this forum, I have seen critical responses to posts from those struggling or otherwise not following 'the plan' couched in angry, patronizing terms that alienate anyone from posting anything but success stories. Yet the actual statistics suggest that while bypass surgery is the most successful long-term weight loss management tool available, most patients will continue to struggle with maintenance for the rest of their life.

"Gastric bypass isn't a surefire cure for obesity. Within the first 2 years of surgery, patients typically lose 75% of the extra weight they were carrying. Five years out, 85% of patients have regained about half of the weight they've lost. The other 15% have gained back even more."

NorthernStar
on 3/1/16 9:26 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Good for you Denise! You've been very successful, and catching the regain now is great

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Patm
on 3/1/16 9:35 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am also 4 years out. It is often when the weight starts to creep back. Good for you in catching it and working on getting it back off. I am also working on some re-gain. It is sure harder the further out you are. I know one poster on her that suggests going down to under a 1000 calories to lose. I have found that works for me most of the time but then I slip.

Good luck in your journey

RidingFan
on 3/3/16 10:25 am - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

Me too!  My three year anniversary is in April. Dealing with about 10 pounds regain to lose now before it gets worse. Back to using myfitnesspal and fitbit zip. Also get motivated by my local support group meetings. That being said, I still feel so thankful for this tool.

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics