First day home after surgery

dog_hair_dinner
on 3/2/16 11:56 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I just had my surgery done yesterday and I'm home already.  I'm on some good pain meds lol.  The worst was the gas pain, but the pain meds are working.  I still haven't passed the gas.  The surgeon said it might take up to 48 hours.  If anyone has any questions for me, let me know.  I had my surgery done at the Civic Hospital in Ottawa by Dr. Yelle.

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/16 6:04 pm

How long were you in the process for before you got the surgery? How long did you stay at the hospital? Did you have your own room? How was the staff? 

dog_hair_dinner
on 3/3/16 6:18 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I went through the process twice, because I chickened out the first time.  I was in the process for four months before I decided to go with the weight management clinic non-surgical program.  The second time around (after that failed me), I was in the process for a year and three months before receiving the surgery.  This is definitely longer for me, because I had issues with emotional eating and improper nutrition I had to resolve with the behaviourist and dieticians before I could qualify for surgery.  Each appointment took 1-2 months to get.  I got the "green light" from everyone in December, then had to go through the surgeon visit and a class before they called me and told me my surgery was booked for March 1.

I was in the hospital for about 28 hours total from the time I arrived until I left.  I had the option to stay longer if I wished, but I felt well, so I left.  The surgery itself was completed from 11AM until 2PM.  I was in PACU (post anaesthetic care unit) for one hour, because my blood pressure would not drop to acceptable levels.  I have no blood pressure issues normally, but I was told the nature of the surgery has this effect. 

I had to stay in PACU for an additional hour, because the bariatric post-op care unit was full and another room had to be found.  (I was sleeping through most of this because of the anaesthesia effects and eyeing the cloc****asionally and overhearing what was said occasionally).

I ended up being placed in the trauma unit in a semi-private room.  No one was in the other bed (yay! lol).  I got the window spot (yay!).  I have no idea what the bariatric post-op unit is like, but damn, I lucked out.

I was terrified of the surgery going in and crying constantly.  Every staff member calmed me down and said encouraging words (nurses, anaesthetist, surgeon).  The anaesthetist was excellent.  He told me to breathe when I was asked to breathe (after I wake up) and told  me it would be hard, but I had to make the choice to do it.  I did do it.  He also gave me reassurances that my post-op pain would not be bad given my tolerance for the IV.  This helped calm me down.

The nurses I had gave adequate care, but one didn't turn on the leg massagers (to prevent clots) properly, so that was un-used for about 4 hours).  I was able to walk anyway and that was more recommended.  The second (overnight) nurse did not recommend that I take my Dilaudid overnight although I was in a lot of gas pain.  I trusted her recommendation.  I regret that.  I didn't sleep well at all because of it and suffered unnecessarily.  I would recommend anyone to take their Dilaudid if they need it.  

The morning nurse, Cynthia, was the most amazing nurse.  She gave me my Dilaudid on time every time I said I needed it.  I was scheduled to receive it every 4 hours with tylenol and tramadol.  I found the tylenol and tramadol ineffective.  I saw a poster on the wall that said, "who is your guardian angel?".  That's Cynthia for sure lol.

I was given discharge papers and Cynthia explained them all to me in detail, repeatedly when I asked, including the instructions on what medications I needed to stop, what to resume, and what to begin.

I was visited by a dietician from the weight management clinic who gave me instructions for my diet for the next week and which booklet (I was given months ago) to follow after that.  She was very friendly and gave clear instructions.

I was then visited by a nurse from the weight management clinic.  She went over all the signs of what to look for if I need to come to the emergency room.  Again, very clear instruction, very kind.

I had a quick visit by the surgeon who told me everything was good and I could go.

wanttogetgoing
on 3/3/16 9:06 am - St. Catharines

Hi how are you now?  Sounds like you had a good experience at the hospital.  Which one did you have your surgery at?

dog_hair_dinner
on 3/3/16 11:46 am
RNY on 03/01/16

Hi, I'm doing well considering.  Thanks for asking.  I feel I was well-taken care of at the hospital.  I had the surgery at the Ottawa Civic hospital.

wanttogetgoing
on 3/7/16 3:45 pm - St. Catharines

Hi I was wondering how you have doing?  Its been a few weeks now since your surgery.  any regrets?  I found out today that my referral was sent in from my doctor on Feb 24.  now the waiting game til I get contact.  Im not that patient so I hope this part doesn't take long 

dog_hair_dinner
on 3/9/16 4:30 am
RNY on 03/01/16

Hey, it's only been a week since my surgery 

I definitely would have regretted the surgery for the first 4 days had I not come to the conclusion last year that this was my LAST and ONLY option.  The pain, the difficulties getting water and shakes down, the weakness, the fatigue.  It took a huge toll on me psychologically.  I have a pre-existing issue with depression and I did consider suicide twice.  It was my therapy and the support of my husband that got me through.

I am sure there are others that did not have such severe psychological issues as me, as the suicidal ideation thing is not new to me.  It may not be an issue for others.  So you may want to ask others about their experience.

At about day 5, I felt absolutely amazing.  My energy was back, to a degree.  I am able to go for 30 minute walks before becoming completely exhausted.  I can do shopping/errand trips for about 3 hours with frequent rest breaks.  I am getting all of my water and protein in every day.

I had one episode of dumping.  It was second-worst pain of my life.  The first being a headache that I tried to hyperventilate my way out of to force myself to pass out.  The pain from the dumping itself almost made me pass out.  I was seeing white.  

That being said, no I do not regret this decision for a second.  The feeling of absolutely no hunger, for however long this lasts, is the best feeling in the entire world for me.  My life has been a struggle with endless hunger and I feel free for the first time in my life.  I can go about my day with my planned meals and not have constant cramps in my stomach making me want to eat everything in sight.  I can walk down the junk food isles and not only have zero interest, I am actually repulsed.

I had a few cravings for chips two days ago (two days ago  and nothing since).  I ate my planned meal and it went away completely.

I do wish I could had done this like...10 years ago, but I don't feel I was psychologically prepared, nor had I explored all of my other options first, which would have led me to have serious regrets immediately after surgery.  

Most Active
Recent Topics