Newbie beginning the process

Maisie87
on 3/30/16 9:02 am

Hi everyone! 

I am new to the community. After months of deliberation I've decided to try weight loss surgery (VSG) to help me keep my weight under control. 

I've suffered with my weight since I was 12. I'm now 28 and I am sitting at the highest weight I've ever been. I've tried to lose weight every other way but nothing ever sticks! I'm hoping this surgery will help give me the push I need in the right direction to finally get healthy. 

Yesterday I went to my family physician and asked for the referral. He said that he wanted to do a full physical exam, blood work and ECG first (due to some of the complaints I've had over my health). I go back to see him next Tuesday where I am hoping he will tell me he will send it when the results are in! 

Im anxious and excited to start this journey. Just wondering if anyone else has had surgery with a BMI of 36-37? I'm 5"3 and weigh 207 lbs. 

T. drouillard
on 3/30/16 11:15 am - windsor, Canada

Good luck on ur new journey ! 

I haven't had surgery yet but I'm almost there , I meet with the surgeon May 6th and hope to get a surgery date that day !! ? I'm 5'2 and when I weighted in at the bariatric center for the first time i was 262 ... A bit off from u but not too far off , hope this helps ..  :) 

Catw
on 3/30/16 11:45 am - Arnprior, Canada

Welcome to the board.  There is lots of information and support on here.

There are two things that I think you should realize.  VSG is not the standard surgery in Ontario.  The RNY is.  Surgeons will only look at VSG if there is a medical reason to do so (i.e. needing specific medications for other issues).  If there is no medical reason to do the VSG, they won't go that route.

Also, you don't mention what your medical complaints are, but with your BMI, you'll need to have at least one co-morbidity to qualify for surgery.  Such as diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, etc.  You would need a 40+ BMI to get surgery without a co-morbidity.

Cathy

Maisie87
on 3/30/16 5:19 pm

Thank you for the info! I did not know that! 

I know I have high blood pressure and I am pre diabetic. Not sure about the sleep apnea but they test for that right? 

Most Active
Recent Topics