Meeting the surgeon this week

fiercebynature
on 4/10/16 4:43 pm

Hello just some advice if you have any.

I am meeting with the surgeon at the end of this week, in part to request the VSG over the RYN because of debilitating osteoarthritis that is both caused by weight and because of genetics and my need for Nsaids .

You see I know my future regardless of weight loss .

I have sent all the information regarding that to be put in my file. The most recent uses the word destroyed when describing my knee ( nice to read). I'll be lucky to walk a block even after weight loss. I already need and am on a wait list for hip surgery.

I also have  a family history all occurring late in life of cancer of the stomach, ( aunt  and uncle died from this) and cancer of the esophagus (father died of this). So I'm worried about having a blind stomach or disconnecting anything.

My father needed a triple bypass as well and a pace maker all late in life.

We all ( the women, my mother in particular) end up with severe thyroid issues of which I am on my way. The Doctor is just trying to decide if we medicate now or monitor until after weight loss. So I want to keep my pyloric valve working.

I also have Crohns disease in my family history also occurring age 60 plus. My grandmother developed this in her 70's. My mother's sister at about 65. it's like we fall apart in old age. Anyway......

Most of my family is in the UK . So proving these family history pieces is near impossible. Will that be required or will they take my word for it?

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

sneezy6145
on 4/11/16 2:13 am

In all of my years and with as many Dr's I have seen, I have never been asked for "proof" in regards to my family's medical history.  I wish you luck at your appointment. 

fiercebynature
on 4/11/16 2:49 pm

Thanks for the response it's just they are in the UK and the states and I would need more time to get my ducks in a row.

IamBettyCooper
on 4/11/16 12:53 pm

I am in the same boat, have psoriatic arthritis and don't want the bypass because of my need to take medication.

Had a really long talk about it with the nurse practitioner and she noted all my concerns in the file and she said based on other people who have had arthritis and similar conditions requiring regular use of medication, they usually opted for the sleeve instead of the bypass in those cases.  I felt a lot better after discussing it with her.

fiercebynature
on 4/11/16 2:51 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I hope your right.

I'm loosing sleepover this.

Most Active
Recent Topics