Pain Under Ribcage On Right Side

dog_hair_dinner
on 5/6/16 5:35 am, edited 5/10/16 4:37 am
RNY on 03/01/16

Hello everyone.  I've already called the hospital, I'm just waiting for a call back.  In the meanwhile, I was curious if anyone has had anything like this due to the RNY surgery.  I am 2 months out from surgery and just this Sunday I've started getting a strange pain under my rib-cage on my right side.  I don't feel it at all until I begin walking. Within 5 minutes of walking, the pain begins and grows increasingly worse until I stop walking.  The pain remains and slowly fades over an hour or two if I do not walk again.  The pain begins as a dull throb, like something under my rip is being punched or squished.  Then if I continue the activity, the pain becomes sharp and sudden.  Massaging the area does help, but the pain will not go away entirely unless I'm completely immobile for an hour or two.

My activity since surgery was solely walking.  I started doing weights three weeks ago (6 weeks post-surgery, as advised) on machines only with supervision on my form.

Update: The hospital nurse I spoke to is inclined to think this is a pulled abdominal muscle and not a gallbladder issue, as the pain is not associated while eating and is not present when I am at rest.  The hospital does not think it is an emergency.  They would like me to follow up with my doctor so he can palpate the area.  I am seeing him Monday.

Update 2: Saw the doctor.  He palpated the area and discussed the symptoms with me.  It looks to him as though scar tissue around my incisions are causing muscle pain around my abdomen.  When he palpated the area, the spot that hurt the worst was right next to an incision.  So it's kind of like when you get a tension headache and you feel pain, but the actual cause of the pain isn't right where you're experiencing the pain.  All I have to do is walk less and a little slower, then work my way back up to my previous level of activity and slow down again if I have pain.  The doctor thinks the scar tissue will heal and eventually I will be back to normal.

Monica9811
on 5/7/16 3:23 am - Peterborough, Canada

Thanks for the update. Might want to avoid any heavy lifting or weights for a while. Good luck. 

Most Active
Recent Topics