I finally got it!

Seyenna
on 6/4/16 10:25 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I finally got the "you're WAY too thin!" comment from my mom. Her exact words, "you look anorexia" (it's anorexic, mom... gee, thanks!). When I calmly truied to explain that she was just used to seeing me so big (I've been in size 16+ since I was 13!), she said "I haven't seen you in a few weeks and my first thought was how sick and pale you look", then she did a very exaggerated shudder. I knew it would come at some point, and I KNEW it would be from her... but it still pains me a little. 

She was so against the surgery that I never told her. I went through the appointments and meetings and surgery - alone. I had no one by my bedside, other than the 2 wonderful ladies who had surgery with me the same day. Jaxie's husband drove me home, no one from my family was in attendance.

/sigh, pity party done

Alas, some updated pics! 

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/16 10:52 am

You look amazing! It sucks when the most hurtful comments come from our family and friends. You handled the situation with class. Keep up the hard work! At the end of the day, we all do this for ourselves and even though we value our loved ones opinions, they don't have to live in our bodies and endure what we all have had to go through.

ps: Love your tank top! So cute! 

LeslieT3440
on 6/4/16 11:09 am - Mississauga, Canada

Awe you do not look anorexic, you look lovely, happy and healthy. Keep up loving yourself and fighting the fight. Your Mom didn't mean to hurt you, she is just used to seeing the plumper you and for some strange reason people see plumper as healthier lol. Just assure her you are doing well and are now at your healthiest since you were 13 like you said. This is your life and you need to live it as healthy and happy as possible. Don't let comments like that bum you out. It's just a lot of folks just don't get it unless they walk in our shoes.   

lizz122964
on 6/4/16 2:17 pm

you look wonderful and very healthy. 

wiccandove
on 6/4/16 2:36 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

You look beautiful and healthy! Moms can be a PIA - if it makes you feel better I haven't told mine either because she is very condescending.  Maybe we need a sub forum called "disapproving moms and WLS" :)

I think you are really strong to go through this alone, seriously thats amazing!

Be proud of yourself for taking this step. Your mom will get used to the thinner you eventually. And if she doesn't...well...we'll start our subforum lol.

Eragon2015
on 6/4/16 2:58 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

you look great. It hurts when we get that from the ones we love. I hope she can support you. And your t-shirt is great to! Love the ice cream. LOL

Hidingaway
on 6/4/16 6:31 pm

You don't look anorexic ! You look beautiful, healthy and strong!

Referral Oct 10 2015

Orientation Nov 25 2015

Sleep Study Dec 5 2015

Sleep Clinic Results Jan 15 2016

Nurse Practioner Jan 18 2016

Dietician/Social Worker Feb 5 2016

2nd Sleep study Feb 5 2016

Started using CPAP Feb 18 2016

2nd Sleep Study results March 17 2016-official prescription

Pre-surgical class March 30 2016

Meet the surgeon April 20 2016

SURGERY MAY 19 2016 !!!

Canadajet
on 6/5/16 12:41 pm

You look amazing!!!!!!  I did not tell my mom as she would have pulled the Italian wailing what did I do to deserve this rant.  Then it would be all about her.  I dropped the guilt years ago and frankly I keep her at arms length. Still love her but don't allow her to rule my life.  So, I am sure you now surround yourself with people who support you.  That is what I have done.  

I too have had people asked me how much I have lost (just close to 70) with27 more to go.  Everyone say no way don't lose anymore.  I am still in the overweight category for bmi and need to move that to under 24 so I thank them for the compliment and concern but remind them my doctor and I have it medically managed.

your right as well when you have been larger any wt loss is noticeable.  So you reinvent yourself.

not sue you are part of support group and I find posting here is great.  

I do find as the months go by I am less on the forum. Maybe life gets in the way but when I need a boast or a reminder I come back on and read the posts.

i keep my first picture prior to surgery in my wallet. It reminds me how far I have come and why I never want to return to that unhealthy unhappy person.  I love life and screw anyone who tries to drag me down!

you go girl

MonaLisaSmile
on 6/5/16 4:16 pm - Canada

You look great my girl!!!    &  I bet you feel even better.

Why is it WE JUST CAN'T WIN ??????    We are either too fat....or too skinny for everybody's liking !!

I totally understand your frustration.  I have been getting "well... I hope you are done now?", or "sure hope you don't loose anymore!"   

Are you kidding me ?????? 

FORTUNATELY....What really matters is what WE think!!!!

PS- I didn't tell anyone in my family, and I still haven't!! I don't need the grief

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Patm
on 6/6/16 8:14 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You look great. When you first lose the weight your face can look very thin. However it will fill out a little over time and you will continue to look amazing

Most Active
Recent Topics