Is swallowing 1/2 a pill really bad 3 weeks post op?

Eragon2015
on 7/7/16 12:58 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

I am just alittle curious about this. The hospital said that I wouldn't be able toswallow a pill untill atleast 3 months, but I tried at only 2 weeks with no problems.

The reason being.... I have to take 2 pills everyday, for medical reasons, by grinding them up and adding them to something. I gag and almost throw up every time because of the taste, so I've been neglecting to take them because of that. For my health, I had to think of something else to do. And before you judge me....I have tried SO MANY WAYS to get these down, without success.

So.... one day last week I braced myself, prepared my family for what I was going to do, cut them in half, and got them down with water. Whamo! Done! No problems! Is this a problem for our stomachs?  I really need to take these but can't if I have to keep grinding them up. I would think gagging and throwing up would be worse for our new pouches.

Anyone? 

RNY Surgery June 15, 2016 with Dr Hagen

HW 267 CW 193

Ginnny
on 7/7/16 4:12 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I would say if you're cutting them in half and they're small now, you'll be fine.

GentleDomenic
on 7/7/16 4:25 pm - Canada

Ask the surgeons office just in case there might even be a chance they wouldn't be effective with the malabsorption happening at 3 weeks out 

wellbean
on 7/7/16 8:00 pm
RNY on 06/13/16

The nurse practitioner told me to cut them in half and take them with water when I was 1 week post op. I've had no issues and I'm almost 4 weeks post op. 

Carchick28
on 7/8/16 5:57 am - Canada

I do it with some of my pills and have no issues.  I will wait and see about absorption issues when I get my next blood work done and see if it has caused me issues but you are right it is way easier and you are more likely to stick to taking them.  I would just monitor through blood work from time to time to make sure you are absorbing them.

Catw
on 7/8/16 6:18 am - Arnprior, Canada

As long as the pieces are smaller than the tip of your baby finger you are fine.  That's what I was told as I have to take a couple that were small, and told that crushing them would cause you to lose half.  I think it's more so that they don't get stuck if they go down the wrong way.  Which would cause pain, and could cause other issues.

When I was trying to cru****ried putting it in everything.  Even looked up suggestions on the internet.  The most popular one on the internet was to put it in jam.  Not trying that one.  Swallowing pieces was definitely easier.

Cathy

Most Active
Recent Topics