Hopefully not TMI but here goes

IamBettyCooper
on 7/14/16 6:33 am

So hopefully this isn't TMI but here goes ... had a regular BM last night, nothing exceptional. About an hour later, terrible diarrhea. Didn't feel overly full or sick or nauseous, it was just urgent. Wondering if I had too much soup or to eat/drink in general? Or if my body just isn't used to having so much dairy-based food? Going to try and pull back on dairy today and see if that helps. Feel totally fine today and my Premier shake is going down fine for breakfast. I was so proud of myself yesterday because I hit 77g of protein and 8 cups of water and 700 calories but maybe too much too soon given I am only a week out of being sleeved?

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Catw
on 7/14/16 7:11 am - Arnprior, Canada

Unless this happens regularly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Once in a while, I'll do something similar.  I call it a clean out day. I figure it's because I haven't "fully emptied" for a bit (probably due to not enough water), and my body gets rid of it when it can.  If you haven't been getting 8 glasses of water, you might have been a little dehydrated (the heat takes more out of you than you think) and your bowel couldn't get rid of everything.  When you were able to get the 8 glasses of water, your bowel was finally able to get rid of it.  Keep up your water and you should be fine.  If it starts happening regularly, then call the clinic.

Cathy

wiccandove
on 7/14/16 8:36 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Are you on stool softeners or anything? I know after RNY you are on some, and also senokot. I'm week 5 now and still have that happen on occasion, but I'd rather that then constipation! 

IamBettyCooper
on 7/14/16 5:59 pm

Nope. I had a big disagreement with the nurse navigator about that.  My body is extremely regular.  Never an issue for me.  And given that I have been on predominantly liquids for almost 3 weeks, I didn't see the need to start a laxative yet when frankly, there isn't much to poop out.  I am not a fan of taking stuff before you know if you need it.   Especially because I didn't have strong painkillers, only Tylenol, and I am off those now too and managing the extremely minimal pain I have mindfully.  

When I do get backed up, on the very rare occasions (like 2x a year), I usually just have a cup of coffee and within a couple of hours, it goes right through me.  Because I don't drink it regularly, it has an immediate and quick result with my bowels!

Feeling better today ... I suspect the root cause is really an excess of dairy ... never had this much dairy prior to surgery.  Took a rest day and just had a shake for breakfast and some whey splash in water and a little applesauce and broth and no issues.  I had a regular albeit small BM this morning so I think I am all right.

PS Have never discussed poop so much in my adult life!

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

wiccandove
on 7/14/16 6:37 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Haha! I used to work as a vet tech so we talked about poop all day. Granted it was dog and cat poop but still.....

I think they just want you to use stool softeners because they don't want you to strain. I never really had constipation issues but I had once since surgery and I thought I was going to die. I used the stool softener, senokot and finally resorted to smooth move tea, which did the trick. I hear sometimes protein can cause constipation? Not really sure but I thought I read that on these forums somewhere!

I'm loving the whey splash! I usually dissolve one scoop in a 16 oz blender bottle twice a day. I got the orange and the watermelon, the other flavors don't seem to appealing - which flavors did you go with?

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/16 8:05 pm

Can you tell me what whey splash is and which one you use?? 

Im guessing it's a protein powder.  Where can I buy it? 

Haven't had surgery yet, but my psych and surgeon appts are on July 27and 29th and hoping to be booked for surgery after that. I'm at the TWH. 

Thank you.  

wiccandove
on 7/15/16 7:37 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Whey Isolate Splash, you can get it at GNC. They have a few flavors, orange (tastes like Tang) watermelon, grape and...something else I think I can't remember. They mix really well in water.

IamBettyCooper
on 7/15/16 6:14 pm

GNC sells a drink mix called Isolate Whey Splash ... there are 4 flavours and when you mix it with water, it tastes kind of like Fruitopia.  It has 24g of protein in a scoop and you are supposed to mix it with 16oz of water.  Has 120 calories.   I can't remember the price but it is a nice alternative to the milky/shaky proteins.

http://www.gnc.com/Revolution-Nutrition-Whey-Isolate-Splash-Watermelon/product.jsp?productId=67676576

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

IamBettyCooper
on 7/15/16 6:12 pm

The directions on the Whey Splash bottle are 1 scoop in 16oz of water but I find it too strong and sweet so have been using half a scoop in 24 ounces and it works for me with lots of ice.  I like the watermelon and the blueberry the best ... takes a while to get used to the colour!

I also have to dilute vitamin water zero ... I put half water and have VWZ.  It's too strong for me otherwise.  I guess I have a bland palate!

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/16 8:47 am

Thank you for the info.....going to pick some up!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics