Food no longer tastes good........Post op.

Eragon2015
on 7/17/16 6:48 am - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone. I have an issue with food and dont quite know what to do. I am not hungry anymore, I am a month out from surgery, and when I make myself eat... it doesn't taste good.

I really dont want to eat. Anything! No soups (which I used to love), no pasta, rice, fruits, veggies or chicken and breads. Nothing is appealing.

But I still do want my low fat shredded cheese, my gluten free breton crackers, my baked beans. Thats about it. I dont even want my tea or coffee anymore.  I  know we have to make ourselves eat and drink our water and get in our proteins. That I am doing, but with some difficulty. 

How did you push yourself through this? Is there something wrong with me? Is this normal? How do I get past this to make food good again?  

RNY Surgery June 15, 2016 with Dr Hagen

HW 267 CW 193

White Dove
on 7/17/16 8:37 am - Warren, OH

You need to eat very little food.  I am still never hungry at almost nine years out.  I got my protein from shakes, but cheese and beans could be plenty.

You do need to get in enough protein so one way to be sure of that is to weigh and measure your portions and track then on My Fitness Pal.  You also will do better with lots of water.  I still drink in excess of 100 oz per day.

If you don't eat enough calories for your body, your body will make up the difference by burning stored fat.  Food started tasting good to me again around year three.  I still don't like bread, pasta, rice or potatoes.   I eat some vegetables like tomatoes and spinach.  Mostly I just have meat or cheese and small amounts of other foods.

I never want to get back to my old normal  because I would quickly regain weight if I ate like before.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MonaLisaSmile
on 7/17/16 7:38 pm - Canada

I found things didn't taste that great nor was i really excited about anything for a month or so as well.  I will suspect that as time goes on your appetite will return and your food choices will be more interesting and varied.

The days of eating for enjoyment and fun are kinda gone.  Focus on getting down what you need to in small quantities every couple of hours to meeting your protein needs, keep the fluids up......and the rest will come in time.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Leslie W.
on 7/18/16 6:13 am - Cobourg, Canada

I didn't feel hunger for 6 months. Ate by the clock for the longest time. I would find something i liked then the next day nope. Find a few things that don't make your pouchy grouchy then slowly add too it. You're still healing. Anesthesia is still working it's way out. I find vitamins affect taste too. Our relationship with food has changed greatly. When you don't feel hunger jothing really tastes good.  Concentrate on protein and water. Taste will improve. The first 6 months is the greatest weight loss. It will be better.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
lexxiblue
on 7/19/16 4:06 am
RNY on 01/11/12

OH HOW I WISH I HAD YOUR PROBLEM.. AGAIN!! those were the "good ole days"... it will pass... and you will be able to eat most foods again... perhaps not now, not in a year, but wait for maintenance.. it's the hardest part of my journey!

good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics