7 weeks post op...nauseated and do not want to eat....HELP?

Eragon2015
on 8/6/16 3:07 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Hi there everyone!

Its been 7 weeks since my rny and I'm a bit worried. I'm not hungry, I feel nauseous and really don't want to eat. I feel much worse when I make myself eat. I was told I wouldnt be hungry anymore, but nauseous?

It's been touch and go with introducing new foods into my diet. I have no problems with soft foods like pudding, yogurt and soup.

Breads, ham, pork, potatoes, bananas, french fries, and pasta are a NO WAY for me, they get stuck and I end up in alot of pain. Cheese is iffy.

Tuna, pickles,  salads, fruits, some veggies, and my gluten free crackers seem to be okay, if I only have 2. OH, and apparently I love beans now, and so does my stomach. LOL I'm all out of ideas here. I cant survive on fluids, minced and soft foods forever. I'm supposed to be introducing new foods in, but just cant seem to do it without getting nauseated and pained.

I had some tummy issues before I had the rny, I was hoping it would have cl

eared it up. Guess not! well, thats not entirely true... my acid reflux and heartburn is completely gone, thank goodness. But I'm still gluten intolerant, cream intolerent, and cannot tolerate ham/pork still.

Anyone else having some food issues? I have my follow up in september. The hospital at the 1 month visit said things were good. Try one new thing at a time. That I am on track and losing. Should I call my surgeon? Hospital? 

RNY Surgery June 15, 2016 with Dr Hagen

HW 267 CW 193

Ginnny
on 8/6/16 3:35 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

are you kidding?  Breads, ham, pork, potatoes, pasta and French fries sure as heck were not on my plan at 7 weeks out! 

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Eragon2015
on 8/6/16 6:13 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

You are right. I'm trying to taste all the wrong things again. I thought I may be able to tolerate them again. No such luck. I'm still gluten and cream intolerant. Couldnt tolerate ham/pork before my rny. Still cannot. This stuff is what my daughter likes to eat. I just go with it. Back to the basics I go. Obviously not learning my lesson. Thanks.

HW 267 CW 193

wiccandove
on 8/6/16 5:14 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

I Agreed. Sounds like you're trying the wrong foods this early out. Your focus should be protein but you list a lot of carb-ridden foods.

I'm 9 weeks out now and still stick to mushy foods like chicken salad, scrambled eggs, chili, salmon etc. If I do eat something like a piece of chicken breast I use gravy to help keep it moist. The only bread we're allowed this early out is tortilla wraps, I use 1/4 of a whole wheat wrap when I eat chicken salad.

In another post I mentioned the World according to Eggface website, go there and look up the ricotta bake recipe. Thats a great one to start with and tastes like real food lol.

Don't rush introducing new foods. If food is getting stuck stick to softer, moister, mushy things. Eat your protein first - this cannot be stressed enough! You won't have to eat like this forever but its important to get into good habits now early out so you don't end up regaining 2 years down the line. 

I don't think you need to call your hospital unless you are vomiting and/or unable to keep liquids down. Do a little more research into the types of foods you should be eating at this stage. Limit the amount of food you are having at a sitting. And chuck that bread, pasta and french fries to the curb! They don't have much benefit nutritionally and just take up room that would be better filled with protein.

Good luck and hang in there! 

wiccandove
on 8/6/16 5:15 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

*edit - whole wheat wrap is a 6 inch wrap not the 10 inch.

Eragon2015
on 8/6/16 6:09 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Thanks. I guess I'm trying to get back to where I was eating way too soon. I actually go by what my daughter likes to eat when I cook. She's a picky eater. I tried bread, potatoes, french fries and ham to see if I could eat them. Not happening. Im gluten intolerant, so everything has to be wheat free. And also cream free (Milk fat) only made with skim milk. Just having a hard time figuring out what I can eat. I guess I better head back to my dietician here in Barrie. I do get in my protein. I make sure of it. I'm told that will help reduce hair loss. I drink alot of water to. Thanks again. Obviously I need to read my guide again, back to the basics.

HW 267 CW 193

Ginnny
on 8/7/16 5:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Honestly, you shouldn't "go back to where I was eating"  that's what got you here in the first place.  Post RNY your eating needs to change!  Do as you said, go back to basics....protein protein protein! 

Good luck!  You can do this !!

Leslie W.
on 8/6/16 6:15 pm - Cobourg, Canada

First stay away from bread, potato, french fries and pasta.

It took me almost a year before I could even eat a mouthful of bread. Start with melba toast then maybe a wrap.

Concentrate on protein first. At 7 weeks out you will not be able to eat much. Find a protein that works and make sure not dry. Gravy becomes your best friend. Chew really well. Find something that works and stick to it for a few days. I ate those fake crab legs with seafood sauce for weeks. At 7 weeks I would wait on eating salad too. Always protein. Tuna and melba toast or cracker is a good start. Have a few beans. 

Eating this early out is really an experiment in finding what works. If your pouch doesn't tolerate something leave it for a few days then try again. You'll have days when everything works then dys when you know before even putting it in your mouth nope not gonna work.

Keep your fluids up. Most important not to get dehydrated.

Go back find some protein that works, stick to it for a few days then introduce one thing at a time. If it is not protein then pass.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
sneezy6145
on 8/8/16 9:00 am

I'm 4 weeks out and am in the same boat. The only thing I feel like eating is soups. Taking my vitamins is a struggle. I don't drink my protein shakes cause even the thought makes me nauseous. I still have the drain on my liver so I have been concentrating on getting in fluids since I was told I need more since I'm losing bile. I think it's just a learning curve this early out. I just have hope things will get easier. I have to say after reading the other posts s wrap sounds like heaven! Lol

Cheryl Denomy
on 8/8/16 5:26 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Eragon,

I'm sixteen YEARS out and I still can't eat ham or pork.  Or pasta.  Or bread.  Or any one of about one hundred things that I used to really like, and quite frankly still don't miss all that much.  Except for cheeseburgers.  There are days when I would simply kill for a good cheeseburger.

It seems to me (and I realize that I had my surgery in the dark ages, when there was none of this Opti stuff and practically zero instruction on what to eat when) that at seven weeks out I was still on opaque liquids, and struggling like blazes even with that.  Up to my surgery, I had never missed a meal bell in my life (heck, I was even born at 6.15 a.m. so I wouldn't miss breakfast on my first day on earth, for crying out loud); after it, my husband pretty much had to remind me to eat -- I could literally go for days, and can still go for 18 hours or longer without even feeling hungry.  Light-headed and dizzy, yes; hungry, not so much.

Just a thought, but I wouldn't be too quick to introduce new foods into your diet.  If you had issues prior to surgery it might be a little bit more difficult to adjust afterwards.  Just my opinion, I don't have anything to back that up with.

Over the years it seems to me that a lot of the problems post-ops have is that they're in such an all-fired rush to get back to eating "real food".  Slow and steady will eventually win this race.

I would for sure bring it up at your September follow-up and get the advice of your team.

Most Active
Recent Topics