Toronto area ... personal trainers?

IamBettyCooper
on 8/18/16 1:35 pm

Anyone in the Toronto area have recommendations for good gyms or personal trainers?

I have heard horror stories about trainers who don't understand bariatric surgery/diets and who give people a 

hard time about # of calories etc.  Would love to find someone who has experience with working with people

who have our cir****tances/challenges.

In the interim, have signed up for Aquafit classes in September.   Otherwise, Leslie Sansone is my new BFF

and I use her DVDs to walk.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

wiccandove
on 8/18/16 3:33 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Where did you sign up for aquafit classes?

IamBettyCooper
on 8/18/16 7:54 pm

Going to do them at the Jewish Community Centre.  The schedule was good and you can use the gym with the membership.  Plus they have a sal****er pool, which I love.  The pool is closed til early September for repairs but they start mid September.  May also do some Zumba there.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Delicious_Delilah
on 8/19/16 9:37 am - Ottawa, Canada

So here's my advice about personal trainers.  I've had three over the last 4 years.  And they have all been great.  And they were willing to work with me.  Personal trainers want your business and should adapt a program according to your situation.  Feel free to try one out...and if it doesn't work, move on to the next one.  Treat it like an interview (you interviewing them...not the other way around).  It can be a bit daunting, especially if you're just starting out, but they are the ones providing the service and should be meeting your needs.

And above all, remember, you should enjoy your workouts and working with whoever trains you...that's the only way it will be sustainable.

I'm not from TO, so unfortunately, can't recommend a gym or trainer.  But good luck and enjoy!

DD

Blakpepa
on 8/30/16 2:51 pm

I've spent thousands on a personal trainer...and hundreds on the chiropractor who had to help me rehab my back after my trainer was too busy turning her back on me and chatting to her coworkers and as a result I had horrific back pain. Make sure your trainer is very experienced and educated as a personal trainer...as in 5+ years and doing it full time not someone who is fresh out of high school doing it part time. They should have education in anatomy and physiology and experience with helping clients lose at least 50-100 lbs. If they have no experience as mentioned...walk away. If you are not physically active, do not do any zumba classes, they are very fun and you should do it at some point for a great workout, but it's also pretty intense for 60 minutes. Aquafit classes are a safe way to get your fitness in along with working the machines.

Most Active
Recent Topics