head hunger

leeann73
on 9/6/16 6:46 pm

Hello everyone:

I know that my inability to stop eating on my own is what has gotten me here (some of that anyway) ... but I have started writing down what I am eating, when, how much and what I am drinking.  I am at the beginning of this process and my nurse appointment is September 15th.  I thought that writing it down would help me to start changing some behaviours but it is not ... I was stressed today and when I look at my food journal I want to cry at how much I eat.  I feel that they will throw me out because I eat so much, but that is why I need the surgery ... sounds like an oxymoron to me .... how do you stay positive when the journey seems so long and scary ....?

lizz122964
on 9/6/16 7:53 pm

Hi leeann, I know the start of journey seems like it's never going to happen. It's can be quite a roller-coaster of emotions. Try not to be so hard on yourself. We really need the time to prepare ourselves for surgery. The better prepared we are the more successful we'll be in the long run. Writing down the food you eat is a great start. Make sure your eating 3 meals a day plus snacks. Also make sure your drinking minimum of 8 glasses of water a day. Try to look for things to do when head hunger strikes. Go for a walk, reading, crafts etc things like that. Good luck with your journey. 

Ginnny
on 9/7/16 4:20 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

have a look at what your eating and try to start eliminating those things you shouldn't be having after surgery, i.e. pop, crappy carbs (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, crackers).  Try to start eating more protein forward now and it will make it easier later on.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Patm
on 9/7/16 6:48 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

What you are doing is actually very good for preparing for your surgery. Talk at your psych meeting about any help they have with compulsive eating. Many of us eat our emotions. I would like to say this will go away after the surgery but it won't. The fact that you can see what you did can be used to help you. Start now thinking of ways you could have handled the stress without resorting to food. The long road can be helpful to you in making yourself better prepared.

leeann73
on 9/8/16 4:31 am

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the support.  I don't think I was prepared for the rollercoaster of emotions.  I just thought I would make my decision and it would inspire me to change.  Thanks again - Lee-Ann

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/16 9:43 am

Use this time to reflect and make changes. Journal everything and then when you are ready, take a look at one of your habits and brainstorm ideas on how to change that behaviour. 

For myself, I was horrible with eating the majority of my calories at night. I noticed a pattern when reviewing my journals. The nights that dinner was later (between 6-6:30 pm), I didn't graze at night. I tried it for a week and found that it cut back on my nighttime eating so I adjusted my schedule to make that change.

It could also be that you are using the food as a substitute for something else. When you write down what you eat or drink, add a section and title it "How I am feeling" and then another section "How I felt 10 mins after eating".  I learned this in my Craving Change workshop and it is an eye-opener. It was enough to make me think twice before eating and to try to distract myself. 

The Craving Change workshop is free in alot of communities throughout Ontario. If you can join a workshop (even if you have to pay for it), it is while worth it. 

Most Active
Recent Topics