updated appointments

leeann73
on 9/21/16 2:49 am

I had my nutrition class and doctors appointment yesterday.  I have my social worker visit on next week on September 27th - then, I don't have any appointments until November 14th - dietician, and December 20th - follow up doctor visit.  I am a bit disappointed that November 14th is 9 weeks from yesterday's nutrition class ... the lovely lady at the front desk said she would try to do something about that for me so cross your fingers it is an earlier date

the doctor said he wanted me to lose some weight before my next appointment with him - but he did not say how much.  I am going to start the food guidelines now - I won't count calories but I will do the 3 meals and 2 snacks and cut out sugar and fast foods.  Hoping that helps.

Thanks for all the support on here - I really appreciate it.

crqvingchange
on 9/21/16 4:34 am

It might be a good idea to start logging your food into My Fitness Pal.  Most of us here use that program.  It is a way to see where some of the hidden calories are and it is good practise for after your surgery you will need to track your numbers.  Also you can print out your journal and take it to your next appointment.  They will make suggestions, after reading it, on where improvements can be made.  Also try not to guess the volume of food you are eating, measure it.  We all find that we underestimate how much we are eating when we guesstimate.

Nutritionists love food journals and your doctor will see that you are really putting in an effort and I think this speeds up the process.  Good luck.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Manda32
on 9/22/16 8:31 am

Do you use the free version of My Fitness Pal? I tried it a while ago, and I don't know if I wasn't navigating things correctly, or what not, but I found what seemed available not very helpful. I had wondered if everyone is using the paid version of it?

Teena D.
on 9/21/16 7:52 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

What hospital are you with?

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

leeann73
on 9/21/16 9:40 am

Windsor

Manda32
on 9/22/16 8:27 am

The doctor said that to me too regarding he wanted to see me lose some weight. Now I had gained 4 lbs since my NP appointment in June, so I thought that was part of it; however I think he just wants to see some loss. He didn't give me an amount of weight to lose (to scared to ask lol).  I wouldn't fret too much about it, even if your down 5 lbs I think that just shows your trying. I think that's all he wants to see. I think (and I hope) if he wanted us to lose a significan amount of weight he would have said so.

I'm going to do my very best to not only lose the 4 I gained but try to lose another 5 or so. Just do your best.

Good luck.

sweetart
on 9/23/16 7:10 am - Windsor, ON
RNY on 12/20/16

I do believe that they are trying to see if you are committing to the lifestyle changes they suggest in the time between your appointments. 

I'm through Windsor too, and just waiting on my date to meet the surgeon, down almost 40lbs and was told that the 'surgeons were fighting over me' because of the effort I put in. Its better for you to lose some weight before surgery so that your liver becomes less fatty and more easily manipulated without injury during surgery. 

Melissa in Windsor, Ontario

Referral 1/15/2016 - Surgery TEGH (Michael Garron) December 20, 2016 w/ Dr. Aarts

5'2" - - - > HW 282, Optifast 220, SW 213, CW 156 (but I'm on it!)

Manda32
on 9/23/16 9:09 pm

Oh, I agree that having  weight loss shows that you are working hard, and committed.

I'm going to try and do my best to lose some weight all through to the actual process, to the surgery date, which is still far away. I either faulter or succeed (usually faulter don't deal well with pressure) with pressure, so I don't want to put big numbers of my own expectations of weight loss in my head for my upcoming appointments. Got enough to deal with, but I get what you are saying.

You've done really well, must be nice to have the surgeon's 'fight' over you!! Besides changing eating, did you start to exercise as well? Any tips?

What hospital did you decided on?

sweetart
on 9/28/16 12:16 pm - Windsor, ON
RNY on 12/20/16

I've just started dieting and exercise. And eating no more than 1100 calories per day, along with trying to follow the post surgery guide for protein, carbs etc. 

I was referred to TEGH/Michael Garron just over a week ago. :)

Melissa in Windsor, Ontario

Referral 1/15/2016 - Surgery TEGH (Michael Garron) December 20, 2016 w/ Dr. Aarts

5'2" - - - > HW 282, Optifast 220, SW 213, CW 156 (but I'm on it!)

Most Active
Recent Topics