the actual surgery

leeann73
on 10/16/16 8:33 pm

Hello everyone:

I have a panic disorder and I am really worried about the surgery day - has anyone ever had a panic attack in the operating room waiting for it - what happens when they put you under and then what is it like when you wake up from surgery?  How long does the surgery take.  I am worried about not waking up - or waking up with a tube in my throat .... strange thoughts for sure

on a positive note, I am at a work conference - many of us came up the night before - a few were in the bar when I checked in so I had to sit with them and I ordered ice water - everyone else had beer and wine and it was super natural for me to just order ice water and I didn't feel embarrassed or bad at all

Catw
on 10/17/16 5:33 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Leeann,

It's normal to be worried and scared about these things.  The day of surgery means the day of change to the unknown.

I can have anxiety, but I was so set in my path by the day of surgery, the only thing I was worried about was that they would reschedule me due to an emergency surgery.  Surgery itself should only take a couple hours.  I know that in Ottawa they schedule 3 a day.  Basically, you go and check in, they put you on a stretcher and do some last minute blood work and checks.  Then wheeled down to the surgical area and wait.  When they wheel you into the surgery room, you are on the table and they do any little things and put a mask on you.  You fall asleep.  When you wake up, you are in the recovery room. (You'll want a pillow in here to hug, as you may start coughing and it helps keep your belly from moving and pulling.  Coughing is a good thing).

How do you deal with panic attacks now?  Do you count?  Focus on an object or place?  Do that, and talk to the nurses, etc.  That and go over in your mind, what NSVs you will soon achieve.  Things that you'll be able to stop doing, things you'll be able to start doing.

And remember, all you have to do is lay there and sleep.  The experts around you are the ones that do the hard stuff that day.  And they've done this tones of times.  You'll be fine.

Cathy 

elisabeth1968
on 10/17/16 6:49 am - toronto, Canada

good morning Leanne you will be fine xoxox I would have worried if you were not panicky.

I suffer anxiety and panic myself so the day of surgery I was so so nervous.  I have my entire family/friends there in the waiting room and they were nervous for me .... that did not help lol

I took an Ativan before I left the house and another one in the waiting room.  I walked into surgery so happy and excited but when I got in the room I cried, tear of pure happiness knowing that this was going to be the first day of my new life (healthy life).

Congratulations and good luck; you will be fine

Lisa 

breuxo
on 10/17/16 6:58 am

i've had many surgeries, being put to sleep is nothing to be scared about, they tell you your going to feel like your a little tipsy and ok deep breaths and your out. waking up for me is always opening my eyes for a second and passing right back out then waking up later and asking the same question. your going to be so tired when you wake up you will hardly remember any of the 1st day 

referred mid Jan, info session feb 29th, nurse April 25th, nut class may 3rd, Doctor may 10th, social worker may 12th, dietician & sw July 11th, Doctor July 19, surgical education class August 22, meet the surgeon August 31, surgery September 22/16

GentleDomenic
on 10/17/16 7:10 am - Canada

Hello

When you go for your pre op testing tell them you are very nervous. I did this and they prepared something to calm me down abit when you first get there (drugs)

At Humber I got there early you wait in the waiting room and they call you in. They call you in and you change into your hospital clothes. You then wait in a smaller waiting room. Humber was good because they allowed your support person there the entire time. While you wait nurse checks your vitals , blood sugar etc. Then the surgeon pops in and says hello ! Reminds you what's going on etc and in my case was making jokes and very nice. (Dr Starr forever) The anaesthetic Dr then came in asked me if I was ok encouraged me to go pee lol and then said let's do this.

i walked myself into the operating room, said by to my loved one and walked in. The room was bright and kinda cold.Tbere was a crew of about 4 people plus the surgeon and anaesthetic dr. You jump on the bed and at that point they stuck the internveinous into my arm (didn't hurt at all ) the anaesthetic guy then put the gas mask over me and said and I won't forget :Count to 3 if you make it you will give 1million dollars. I remember counting to 1 and boom I was out.

Apparently the surgery was an hour, I woke up in like a big room with other people in recovery. In my case I ended up with a little fever during surgery so I woke up with a cold compress on my head and a nurse trying to help me clear the fog. I remember waking up so groggy and falling back aslee a couple of times. I asked if it was over they said ya , it was like 2 hours later it felt like 15mins

leeann73
on 10/17/16 5:17 pm

Thank you so much everyone.  The detailed answers really helped. 

Most Active
Recent Topics