New here!

Cinderz
on 11/3/16 5:46 am

Hello everyone!

I found OH a few days ago while searching for local support groups and I've been hooked ever since, reading through pages and pages and pages of posts and decided I needed to join.

A little about me, I'm 39, mother of 2. I have been unable to work for a few years due to weight issues. I have thought about having the gastric bypass off and on for years, but I wasn't sure if it could ever be a reality for me. Last year I decided to quit smoking (this was always the biggest factor in me feeling I could never have the bypass) I had quit many times in prior years but always seemed to go back within a few months. Last year however I decided I was just done with smoking and no matter how stressful things got I wasn't going back to smoking! A friend of mine at the time had just started the process of gastric bypass and when I made it to my 6 month mark, I asked my doctor for a referral. 

My journey/timeline 

Orientation class February 29th 2016

Nurse consult May 26th 2016

Nutrition class June 7th 2016

First Dr visit June 10th 2016

Firat Social Worker consult June 16th 2016

First Dietitian consult and first follow up Social worker July 29th 2016

Dietitian follow up and Second Social worker follow up August 23rd 2016 (signed off by both)

Follow up Dr appointment September 2nd 2016 (signed off and approved)

Surgery education class September 19th 2016

Received phone call on September 22nd 2016 with a surgery consult date

Surgery consult date with surgeon via computer Ocrober 25th 2016 at local clinic (I was given 3 dates to choose from, I chose the first date available, DEC 5th 2016!!!!!!)

Upcoming appointments, November 8th 2016 pre admission blood work and MRSA swab

Pre admission consult via computer at local clinic November 21st 2016

I've learned so much in the last 10 months and I have a small but very supportive groups of family and friends to be there for me and I am ready to take the next step. I start optics at on November 7th and will be on it for 4 weeks. This took me by surprise as I was expecting 3 weeks. I weighed 358 lbs when I went for my Nurse consult, I was 342.4 lbs when I went for my surgical consult. I had a friend who had the surgery in September and she was 360 lbs and only had to do optifast for 3 weeks. I was concerned how I was going to manage this for 4 weeks, everyone's experience seems to be so different as to what they could and could not have while on optifast. I have been told in addition to my 4 optifast per day I can have 1 cup of broth and crystal light in my water ( I am not a fan of crystal light and have no problem getting my water in daily, I drink on average 10 bottles of water each day) I've read where people could have veggies and sugar free jello, I was told the veggies were never on the list of things you could have and the hospitals were now phasing out the Jello pre op as well. I know my friend cheated when she was on optifast and ended up having to go back for a hernia repair surgery 4 weeks post op, the anxiety I felt knowing she cheated before surgery and then watching her break all the rules after surgery has me knowing that although it may be difficult I will stick to the rules 100%! I am super ecstatic and so great full and thankful to be given this opportunity of a lifetime and want to continue to grow and learn. 

Anyways that's me for now, I look forward to getting to know people who have be there, are currently there and are on their way to their own weight loss journey!

Lovely_Caprice
on 11/3/16 6:18 am

Good luck on your journey.  If you want this process to work - you have to follow 100% of the rules or it will not.  I am going on week 10 and I have lost 42 lbs and I feel great. 

Cinderz
on 11/3/16 9:54 am

Hello Lovely_Caprice, 

I agree with you all the way, following the rules is so important and I don't really see them as rules but as using the information you've learned and putting them into play everyday. I knew prior to her surgery she wasn't ready, she had chosen me as her support buddy to go with her to her appointments and go to her surgery with her. She stopped taking me to her appointments because she didn't like how I would say something about the habits she had and were clearly not breaking but telling them at her appointments that she was. When she was still drinking pop a week before she was due to start optifast and I said something she told me to mind my own business. I realized one thing the journey had taught me was to be better to myself and I didn't need to deal with that kind of "friend" so I've slowly be phasing her out. Sorry for the rant I just get so annoyed and upset at those who don't show appreciation for this opportunity and I keep thinking how regardless of how difficult optifast may be for the first few days I am going to come out on the other end knowing I did what was expected of me and I'll be proud of myself for that fact!

nitethyme
on 11/3/16 6:43 am - Etobicoke, Canada
RNY on 12/18/15

Welcome and good luck! This board/forum is great with so many vets who are always helpful with advice and great questions by the newbies.  I learn something new everyday and love the 'what are you eating today' topic, which gives  you lots of great ideas for eating and managing your eating. 

Where are you having your surgery done? Different hospitals have different rules when you go on Opti ...I was with TWH and was not allowed veggies; we were only allowed broth and sugar free jello.  I was on Opti for 3 weeks ... the first few days were hard but I got through it and am sure you will get through your 4 weeks, you have worked hard to get to this point so don't let the Opti get in your way, it's a good training ground for what is to come.  

Keep asking questions and coming back to the forum. Cathy

Referral: September 2014; TWH Orientation: December 9, 2014; Social Worker: March 2015; Nutrition Class: May 5,  2015; Nurse Practitioner: May 20, 2015; Psych Evaluation: August 2015; Nutritionist: September 2015; Meet the Surgeon: November 6, 2015; Pre-Op: December 4, 2015; Scheduled Surgery: December 18, 2015; HW 367; SW 341

Cinderz
on 11/3/16 10:01 am

Hello nitethyme, 

I'll be having my surgery at St Michaels in Toronto. I'm not as worried about being on optifast for 4 weeks after reading through several pages of others experiences. I did a practice run with protein shakes replacing 2 meals and having a proper proportioned meal with 3 proper snacks and yes the first 2 days sucked but after that it was actually quite easy, I didn't have to think about anything and I just did and made it though the week and even lost 8.2 lbs! I have worked very hard to get to this point and won't let any stupid mistake on my part to get in the way of that! 

sweetart
on 11/3/16 8:54 am - Windsor, ON
RNY on 12/20/16

I have my preadmission November 8 too, but I'm at TEGH!

Melissa in Windsor, Ontario

Referral 1/15/2016 - Surgery TEGH (Michael Garron) December 20, 2016 w/ Dr. Aarts

5'2" - - - > HW 282, Optifast 220, SW 213, CW 156 (but I'm on it!)

Faye P.
on 11/4/16 4:21 am - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 11/02/16

Welcome cinders!  I'm a bit of a newbie myself and just had the surgery Nov 2nd at St Joes in Toronto. Optifast is just one of the many steps in this exciting journey we've all chosen to go through. I can't help but be inspired by those who have gone before me. Good luck on your path and we're all with you!

Referral: Jan 2016 Orientation: Apr 2016 Nurse/Nutritionist/Physio/Social Worker: Jun 2016 Meet Surgeon Telehealth: Aug 25/16  Meet Surgeon Toronto:  Oct 5/16  Surgery Date: Nov 2/16

Most Active
Recent Topics