Serious regrets

Cinderz
on 12/6/16 10:08 pm

First off, thanks to all for your good lucks and best wishes. 

Going into surgery I was excited, not overly nervous. my surgery was to begin at 7:45am. I was walked into the O.R at about 8:45am. as I laid there, I had met most of the surgery team and was told I'd be meeting the surgeon before it all begin (I didnt meet him during rhe meet the surgeon appoinment) so I waited and then I woke up in recovery, still not having met the surgeon. This was the first disappointment. The second came shortly after having woken up when I learned I didn't get the bypass, instead, I got the sleeve. I knew this was the surgeons call but I'd really planned on the bypass. 

First day post op I expected to feel rough,  what I didn't expect was to not be able to drink anything without feeling excruciating pain and nausea .  Day 2 post op is the same. I'm walking, am not passing any gas despite my efforts and with every sip I'm withering in pain. I feel like a number and not a patient. I noticed on day one it felt like there was something stuck in my throat and nobody would listen to me, I looked when in the bathroom to find my uvula was damaged during intubation and it literally hangs down the back of my throat and I feel t every time I swallow, this creates a lot of anxiety and it's dismissed my the nurses. I met surgeon finally and it lasted a out 2 minutes, he obviously had more important things to do then see me. 

I push myself, despite the pain to keep sipping, but with even the smallest sip of anything it brings tears to my eyes, this just doesn't seem normal to me. they want me off iv and they've already out me on pill form for pain meds and let me tell you...it's not pleasant to try to swallow a pill with a stretched uvula and the pain it comes with in my stomach. I feel resistance everytime I swallow . I am supposed to be discharged in the morning and the thought of leaving in this condition makes me want to cry. 

I didn't expect this to be a walk in the park but I never expected it to be this rough either. I never thought I'd regret my decision 

Rachelle D.
on 12/6/16 10:42 pm
VSG on 11/02/16

Hi, I totally get your regret.  Had surgery Nov 2nd.  I went through TWH, but had surgery @ Toronto East General.  I wanted to have sleeve.  I have epilepsy and with RNY, there is a Malabsorption with my med's so I pushed for sleeve.  I was warned about acid reflex and it will get worse.  My spouse had surg on June 1st, as they are older needed to have it done before me.  2nd am after surg nurse made me swallow my pain med's, she wasn't very nice.  I went for a walk around the 3rd day home.  I was crying "what the heck did I do" and I made my partner go 1st.  Trust me it does get better.  It's be a struggle.  But would I do it again.  Heck yes.  Try to walk, it will help for gas.  Take it easy with food and drink, it's not a race.  Take all your vitamins (I still hate the chewable's)  Only time I was sick to my stomach was I tried my one a days. 

Good luck

Rachelle

crqvingchange
on 12/7/16 2:49 am

Cinderz I'm sorry that you had a rough time.  My throat was extremely sore after surgery as well.  I made my husband buy this throat spray that was recommended by the hospital pharmacist.  It is Chloraseptic Max Sore Throat Relief.  Just spray it at the back of the throat.  Also, I made the nurse cut my pain med pills into tiny pieces.  The gas pain will start to go away, and I know it hurts but it will get better.  As for getting the sleeve, many are successful with the sleeve and I know you will be one of them.  The sleeve definitely has a lot of benefits in terms of absorbing vitamins.

Come here and vent as often as you need to, we are here for you.  Sending hugs.  It will get better.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Ginnny
on 12/7/16 5:22 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I'm sorry to read about your experience.  That sounds just awful, and to be dismissed by the Dr and nursers.

Do hang in there and do the best you can with your meds and supplements. 

Soon this will be a distant memory and you will be on your way to a healthier happier life!

Stay in touch here!  Take care of yourself.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Patm
on 12/7/16 6:18 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am sorry you are having such a rough start. As others have said it will get better. If water is hard to swallow try ice chips. They will meld and just trickle down with less swallowing.

If after a few days the swallowing does not improve contact your centre for advice

Leslie W.
on 12/7/16 6:44 am - Cobourg, Canada

I never did meet my surgeon. I saw Jackson pre-op and first post-op but Dr. Urbach did my surgery. try sal****er rinse to swi**** will help. when you get home have someone go to pharmacy and ask for spray for throat. keep hydrated. You'll feel better once home in your own bed. crush meds and mix with chocolate pudding. I found it cut the bitterness better than applesauce. it will get better.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
leeann73
on 12/7/16 6:44 am

Oh my goodness - what a horrible experience.  I haven't gone though it yet so have no experienced words of wisdom but from what we have read on here and in other posts, it does get better.  it is horrible to feel like the health care staff are not listening or sympathetic to you - what hospital are you at?  I am thinking of you and wishing a speedy turn around xo

Insert Fitness
on 12/7/16 7:49 am

That's so disappointing to hear. You've had a lot of great advice so far! I 'll echo the others:

-get throat spray, and gargle with sal****er, suck on ice chips

-walk as much as you can. it makes a huge difference. I did a 15-20minutes morning and afternoon. And in between shows indoors, I did about 10 minutes every hour or so, pacing around the house.

-get in whatever vitamins you can. I hated crushed and chewable. I asked about cutting them, and was told if it fits in a straw, it's small enough. So I cut my multi in 4-6 pieces once I was a week or so out. And it would take me a gild chunk of the morning to get them all in.

good luc****ep posting !

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 12/7/16 9:47 am - plymouth, MN

I'm not minimizing what I'm about to say, and I hope I don't come off condescending being a "gramma grad" with highly unusual cir****tances who has the same surgiversary as you do!!!

Please believe me, when I say, that it gets better for like 95% of the  people who have wls and/or gastric bypass who've experienced something due to the uniqueness of the surgery (and the surgery process compared to non bariatric surgeries)  or in my case, it was my 1st surgery and didn't know had badly I'd be reacting from the anesthesia and the morphine would make me wanna die and you had an issue on top of that. 

It gets better for most people when they get a teeny bit out. In my case where I had severe regrets, it passed by the time I got home from the hospital. I didn't struggle like other December peeps who might, because of having wls around the holidays. 

Also in my case, being a gramma grad, I'm not saying this self servingly to say that being so far out, especially with unique cir****tances, I do get people who find me, because they do have regret that lasts longer, if wls peeps are going to experience it, than the norm. And for even most of them, they see as every month goes by, and the lose more and more weight, most of them lose that regret. 

Point I'm trying to make is that it's most likely you'll not always feel this way. And on the super rare chance that you think you might, there are some of us (a rare few) who know how to adequately support those who have regret that lasts longer and can help support in cases like that, too. 

But truthfully, just take things one day at a time. Sometimes for some, it may be taking an hour at a time. And it can help being on here and other wls places of seeing the exciting things you have to look forward to, if you need the distraction... 

sweetart
on 12/7/16 11:51 am - Windsor, ON
RNY on 12/20/16

So sorry to hear that you are having a terrible experience. I hope you get relief soon, I will be thinking of you :) 

Melissa in Windsor, Ontario

Referral 1/15/2016 - Surgery TEGH (Michael Garron) December 20, 2016 w/ Dr. Aarts

5'2" - - - > HW 282, Optifast 220, SW 213, CW 156 (but I'm on it!)

Most Active
Recent Topics