Scheduled for Pre-Surg. 2 class and meeting the surgeon! Dr. Mamazza @ Civic Hospital.

kyena
on 12/22/16 7:32 am
RNY on 02/16/17

Pre-surg. 2 class scheduled for Jan. 10, and meeting the surgeon Jan. 17.

In January 2017 is will be 2 years since my first info session at the Civic WMC. I had to take time off from the process (almost a full year) to deal with depression (recurring - major depressive disorder since I was young). Once I was ready and contacted the WMC to reactivate my file, everything has been quick and smooth. 

What can I expect when meeting the surgeon? He will be giving me my Rx for Opti, which I can purchase the same day. Does that mean my surgery date will be just a few weeks from meeting him?

Mahalo F.
on 12/22/16 8:18 am, edited 12/22/16 12:19 am

Welcome  board!

I met with Dr. Mamazza on October 19th, 2016.

He will review your complete medical history.

Not sure if you are having RNY or Gastric Sleeve?

I am booked for RNY.  He explained that if for whatever reason they are not able to do the RNY, they may do Gastric Sleeve instead.  Apparently you have to consent for both just in case.  I had a lot of questions (nurses are the worst patients).

I asked about possible complications.  Gastric leak was my biggest concern. He explained that we do not leave the OR unless everything is perfect.

I also having sensitivities to narcotics. I told been that I tolerated Dilaudid (Hydromorphone) best. That is there drug of choice.

I was worried about nausea & vomiting as I am sensitive to anesthesia. They treat with great meds.

He is a very nice guy. Given we both Italian we chatted a bit in Italian.

He will ask you if you have any questions.

Make a list of questions and come prepared. 

You sign consent & he gives you script for Opti-fast.

The weight management clinic called a couple of days later and was booking a month later.  I had ankle surgery booked Remember Day and asked for January 4th, 2017. 

I am a widow and wanted to have the surgery when the boys were off school.  It would be easier without all the routines associated with school.

OMG congratulations on making it this far. 

Continue to come back here daily and read all the posts.

Everyone is so amazing and supportive...  

I have found that they have given me peace of mind.

Take care

Good luck

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

lammytee14
on 12/22/16 8:52 am

You're in good hands with Dr. Mamazza. I met him prior to surgery but Dr. Yelle ended up doing my RNY. Dr. Mamazza did my gallbladder surgery at the end of the summer. He is a fabulous doctor and a kind man. He was very reassuring in the OR as I was on the table battling nerves.

Good for you for taking time to deal with your depression mid-process and getting that in order. Depression is not easy to deal with (as I know from my own experiences) and you want to be in the best head space possible after surgery.

Good luck!

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

Lovely_Caprice
on 12/22/16 10:45 am

Dr. Mamazza did my surgery on 9 September 2016 - I have nothing but good things to say about him.  I have zero complications.  I am living the dream!  Good luck.

ps:  I have 30 lbs to go!  How cool is that.

kyena
on 12/22/16 1:00 pm
RNY on 02/16/17

Thanks for all your comments and feedback .

Is it rude to ask him what his complication rates are (especially for things like leakage, stricture)? 

I've read some online review of him that say he is cold and curt, but you all seem to be saying good things.

How long after meeting the surgeon did you all get booked in for surgery?

2015: Jan. 16, Info session - Apr. 20, Initial Assessment - Jun. 4, Abdominal ultrasound - Jun. 26, Endoscopy - Aug. 4, Dietitian and Behaviourist - Aug. 23, Endoscopy #2 2016: Jul. 11, Pre-surgery 1 class - Oct. 24, Second Assessment - Dec. 7, Dietitian and Behaviourist 2017: Jan. 10, Pre-surgery 2 class - Jan. 17, Meet the surgeon - Jan. 28, Start Opti - Feb 16, Surgery! (Dr. Neville, Ottawa Civic)

5'11 -- HW: 318 (sz 24/3x ; BMI 44.4), Start Opti: 307 (sz 22/2x; BMI 42.8), Pre-RNY: 292

Since Opti: -81, Since RNY: -66

M1 -14 (sz 22/2x; BMI 38.8), M2 -14 (sz 20/XXL; BMI 36.8), M3 -12 (sz 18-20/XXL; BMI 35.1), M4 -11 (sz 18/XXL-XL; BMI 33.3), M5 -9 (sz 18/XL; BMI 32.5), M6 -6 (sz 16/L-XL; BMI 31.5)

Most Active
Recent Topics