RNY Surgery - Jan 26

theprodg
on 1/3/17 10:20 am

Happy New Year all.  I'm scheduled for RNY at Guelph General on Jan 26 with Dr. Reed and am starting optifast on Jan 12. I've been following this forum and a facebook support group for some time and there's one question that keeps niggling at me. Some people talk about how they regained some or all of their weight after a few years out. How is this possible? Aside from the fact that your stomach is considerably smaller, even if you managed to stretch it enough to eat all those calories, wouldn't you have dumping from the high fat/sugar foods? Am I missing something?

Tracks
on 1/3/17 10:42 am - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

From what I understand after a couple of years your body gets "smart".  It starts to learn to absorb more of the calories you consume.   Not everyone experiences dumping and even if you do, it may or may not be for life.   I do believe you can stretch and stretch your pouch.  I have heard that carbonated beverages will do that, as well as consuming more than you are supposed to on a regular basis.   Lastly, if you drink too soon after eating, you can flush the food down faster leaving the pouch empty for more food sooner - allowing you to consume more calories.   

I'm still pre-op, so I hope I have my information right.   This is what my research has told me.  Maybe some of the vets can chime in.

Ginnny
on 1/3/17 11:18 am, edited 1/3/17 3:19 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Not a vet but you pretty much nailed it except for the part of carbonated beverages stretching your pouch.  That's a myth.  But to the original poster, don't go into this thinking you'll never gain the weight back otherwise you might find yourself extremely disappointed. 

You are correct that the malabsorption of calories ends.  Our bodies recover and we process as we used to.  The smaller you get the less calories you need to maintain that lower weight, some people think they can eat the same amount as before.  I am just coming up on 9 months out but have never dumped.  I have probably eaten many of the foods that would make someone else dump.  I still try to keep my carbs below 50 (much lower but I'm okay with 50).

People gain weight because they go back to eating as they did pre-op.  Too large of portions, too many carbs......

Maintenance is a struggle not to be entered into lightly.....

***EDITED TO ADD:**

You can still gain weight even if you are eating protein and veg or any other food that wouldn't make you dump.  Your body needs a certain number of calories.....if you exceed that, you'll gain weight.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Teena D.
on 1/3/17 11:41 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Dumping only happens to some people, and you can stretch your pouch.  As so many have said, our surgery is a tool and it's up to us how we use it. 

Good luck with your surgery- mine is on Jan 12,

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Meggles07
on 1/3/17 12:08 pm - Canada

I had Dr. Reed as well and aside from the obvious things that have already been posted (like eating too much or eating the wrong things) he also suggested that people will naturally regain about 10-15% of their weight after surgery. He was just about spot on with me. But don't be alarmed, the majority of that for me was water (because I was always a little dehydrated while losing) and muscle. A lot of my muscle went away for the first while and I felt very weak even with working out. The nice part of that is that places like my calves that were quite large before are now nicely proportioned. I don't have to carry as much weight around so I don't need large leg muscles. After a couple months I felt stronger again and that was when my weight went up a bit. If I regained any fat it was a very small amount... Well, so far anyways ;)

Meg~

Mahalo F.
on 1/3/17 1:51 pm

I have to agree with the previous post.

Our WLS is definitely a tool and from what I have read while the first year of very hard the maintenance of 10 X harder.

I know quite a few people that had the RNY and they are slowly gaining the weight back.  Going back to all the foods that made them obese in the first place.

Even if your pouch is small you can still put small amounts of junk in throughout the day...

I have watched a friend down an XL Tim Hortons Icecap over the period of 2 hours. 250 calories, all the fat & sugar.

We are the masters of our own ddestiny...

Take care 

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

theprodg
on 1/3/17 3:35 pm

That's helpful. Thank you. I have no intention of going back to eating the way I did to get to this weight, but I was just confused as to how you could. I guess it makes sense that you have to be constantly vigilant.

MonaLisaSmile
on 1/3/17 5:06 pm - Canada

I am 1 1/2 yrs out.  I don't dump, have never thrown up, I am able to eat anything.  It may make me a little tired or slightly uncomfortable...but nothing major.  This is how people easily go back to old habits after the "honeymoon".

I went by the book 100 % for the first year ...so I really wasn't aware of my lack of limitations.  The fear of what could happen to me by eating the wrong things and hearing the stories of others kept me on the straight and narrow for which I am grateful because I had amazing results!!!!

When I reached goal then went under goal by 12lbs ....I started testing other (crap foods) out....and was shocked.  I realized I was on my own, relying on good choices and self control and the things i learned about protein and portions.

I have been maintaining my weight...  but not without constant attention to it and daily weighing.  This surgery will IN NO WAY KEEP YOU THIN FOR LIFE......this is a daily effort commitment!!!! I didn't really understand this pre op either.  Poor choices will put you right back to being obese if you let it .

The education and the retraining...and hopefully all the rewards you get from being thin and healthy will be enough to make you want to keep it for life!!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

skinny_gigi
on 1/12/17 10:01 am

Wise words...

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Patm
on 1/4/17 8:51 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

They operate on your body not your mind. Good saying that. You will have restriction but all your old cravings and wants will come back. The first year you need to maximize your weight loss. Go as low as you can. Your body will not absorb all the calories and you will make the most of this surgery.

I am coming up on 5 years and can tell you this has been the hardest year for me. I am up 15 lbs from my lowest. I will continue to weight and measure my food. I also log everything I eat. I weight myself everyday and am conscious of any gain.

Please do not go into this surgery thinking you will never have a weight problem again. It is a tool as others have said not a cure.

Most Active
Recent Topics