Six yrs out Update

Derek C.
on 1/26/17 6:44 pm - North Bay , Canada

for the newbies here - quick update - my wife and I both had WLS within 3 months of each other in 2011.  Since then ive lost approx. 165 lbs gained back 35 and steadied out - wife obsessed with scale went as low as 85 lbs spent 7 months in an eating disorder program - gained back approx. 75 pounds and struggles daily with the number on the scale -struggles with intake of any type of food as the the eating disorder and all the glorious mental health issues that have accompanied this time in our lives have reared its evil head once again .  Newest update is that she knows for almost 4 weeks has she has been bleeding internally somewhere, either in pouch or intestines - lots of  blood in her stool (sorry)- severe  abdominal pains - suspected ulcer or even as much as diverticultis , she tried to get back to TWH for assistance but because she has been "discharged" the wait is tremendous, so our local hospital after consulting with TWH will perform the colonoscopy and endoscopy, hoping to find out some answers.  .  This is now year six of a roller coaster of emotions , and believe me I was not , nor continue to be a model WLS student.  I just want to share with all of you that yes this a ticket ,  but OMG does it comes with challenges - many many challenges.

Please be true to yourselves when you commit to this program because no one can predict the changes that will or can occur - I have seen so many great changes in the people that I have met within the WLS community - but I have seen some very scary things as well - not only my wife and her journey but friends that end up developing medical issues and their quality of life when its supposed to be improving , rapidly declines .

Sorry to rain on some parades but people need to know both sides of the story .  To all of the success stories - congratulations - keep working at it - enjoy every minute of it .

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

roxytrim
on 1/27/17 3:25 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Thanks for your update.  Also - thanks for giving us all both sides of the story.  Life does continue, these issues, both medical and physical may have cropped up regardless of WLS.

It sounds like you are keeping yourself pretty steady while supporting your wife.  That is a real balancing act.  I'm sure they will get to the source of the internal bleeding, they are looking in enough places.

Keep us posted.

crqvingchange
on 1/27/17 4:30 am

Thank you for your honesty.  I have seen both sides of WLS as well, and have a friend who has been through a lot.  I think we all knew that when we chose this surgery we were putting ourselves at risk.  Any surgery comes with risks.   Many of us had eating disorders which contributed to our obesity.  Making the decision to have WLS is a serious one and shouldn't be rushed into.  The long wait times in Ontario help to give people time to adjust their habits and do research.  We all knew that if we continued the way we were being morbidly obese, that we would face major health issues.  Some of us had health issues before the surgery that have been resolved as a result of the surgery.  Thankfully to date, I have been complication free, apart from a few low blood values.   

I am wishing your wife a speedy resolution for her health issues.  That must be so hard on both of you.  

Thank you for sharing your story.  Please keep us updated, and come here for support whenever you need to.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Patm
on 1/27/17 9:20 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Hi Derek,

Nice to see you back. I wi**** was with better news. I hope they find the problem with your wife. It is good to tell both sides. It often seem son here people go into this without taking the time to consider the road ahead. There will always be challenges and no one can predict what each persons will be

This is not a magic surgery that cures all our ills. Just a tool to be used wisely.

I hop you and your wife find some answers

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/17 3:47 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Derek, nice to see you posting again.  I have to say congratulations to you for maintaining what you have lost even if you are no longer a model WLS patient.  Take it from someone out much further than you that there is no such thing as a model WLS patient after a few years out.  You are doing amazing to keep off as much as you have given the added stress of having to deal with your wife's issues. I really hoped that her issues would get under control after the treatment she received.  Vent away my friend, we all know that post op life is not always an easy place to be.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/27/17 9:24 pm - Windsor, Canada

Always nice to hear an update.  

Hugs to to you and your wife 

dawn. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics