sharing information

leeann73
on 1/27/17 7:42 am

Because I am manic, I called Guelph this morning and asked them if they do the surgeon appointment and the preop the same day - at our surgery class in Windsor they said sometimes they do that when people have far to travel.

So, Guelph told me that Dr. bojani's secretary sets up those appointments and they gave me the number to call her.  When I called her, she was surprised saying that this was his own private practice and everything should be done through the clinic.  I tried to get booking dates out of her ... this is what she said (nicely though):  "we don't even know if you will be approved for surgery.  your appointment is only the consultation with the surgeon, then he will decide if you are okay to have surgery and then instruct her on the date.  then she will book the pre-op and call me".   hmmmm .... I thought I would get the date at my meet the surgeon appointment .... I hate that I am so manic and anxious about this.  there is not one bone of patience in me.

kyena
on 1/27/17 10:03 am
RNY on 02/16/17

Hello!

I wouldn't be worried or anxious. I also expected a date at my meet the surgeon appointment but my surgeon said something similar, in that the surgeon approves for surgery and gets the consent forms but there is someone else who does all the scheduling. It makes sense really, I don't expect my surgeon to know all about managing OR bookings.

Sounds like you are still on the right track! At the Civic in Ottawa, the pre-op is only about 7 days before surgery, after you have started Optifast. 

2015: Jan. 16, Info session - Apr. 20, Initial Assessment - Jun. 4, Abdominal ultrasound - Jun. 26, Endoscopy - Aug. 4, Dietitian and Behaviourist - Aug. 23, Endoscopy #2 2016: Jul. 11, Pre-surgery 1 class - Oct. 24, Second Assessment - Dec. 7, Dietitian and Behaviourist 2017: Jan. 10, Pre-surgery 2 class - Jan. 17, Meet the surgeon - Jan. 28, Start Opti - Feb 16, Surgery! (Dr. Neville, Ottawa Civic)

5'11 -- HW: 318 (sz 24/3x ; BMI 44.4), Start Opti: 307 (sz 22/2x; BMI 42.8), Pre-RNY: 292

Since Opti: -81, Since RNY: -66

M1 -14 (sz 22/2x; BMI 38.8), M2 -14 (sz 20/XXL; BMI 36.8), M3 -12 (sz 18-20/XXL; BMI 35.1), M4 -11 (sz 18/XXL-XL; BMI 33.3), M5 -9 (sz 18/XL; BMI 32.5), M6 -6 (sz 16/L-XL; BMI 31.5)

LauraLeafFan
on 1/27/17 10:36 am, edited 1/27/17 2:37 am

What time on Monday is your appt?  Mine is 9:55am.   

Good luck!!

leeann73
on 1/28/17 7:41 am

Hello Laura - mine is at 1:55 pm ....good luck at yours as well.

crqvingchange
on 1/27/17 11:30 am

It was similar for me through Guelph.  The wait time is hard for everyone, but because you have such a long drive, I can see where you might be a little anxious.  I have met Dr. Bhojani and he was very nice and really took his time to explain everything.  He was not my surgeon, but I was with a friend when they had a consult with him.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

odie
on 1/27/17 11:44 am
RNY on 05/26/14

I met with my surgeon in Montreal and was approved and waited 4 years for my surgery!!  Now that is patience!! lol

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

skinny_gigi
on 1/28/17 5:45 am

Hi leeann

I'm not manic but i had the same questions.  the person that called me said "if i was approved " i would buy opti..and i thought i have already been approved at twh...anyway i looked it up in the forum and looks like the surgeon is truly the final approval...after he or she go through everything they can actually order more tests,etc.

i think it's mostly the norm that people get their date and get their surgery but i guess the surgeon "reserves the right" to refuse.  

you made it this far so unless something is really out of line i don't think you need to worry.  and if something is out of line for you health it's best to follow surgeons orders.

i feel nervous as well -my appointment is on friday...but nothing we can do about it for now.  

we're in the home stretch let's stay positive!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

leeann73
on 1/28/17 7:41 am

xo thanks for that.  yep .... home stretch ... such a rollercoaster.  Good luck with your appointment on Friday and I will write in after mine on Monday.

skinny_gigi
on 1/28/17 8:19 am

will do!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Most Active
Recent Topics