Medic Alert bracelet

MC_Akeson
on 2/3/17 11:43 am - Ontario, Canada

Was it suggested by your surgeon to get a medic alert bracelet? I wasn't but just read on a blog that the lady got one for when she goes out that says on the back that she had RNY, no blind NG tube/ no NSAID/ no sugar with other allergies and ICE. I had to search what an NG tube was which is a tube they put through your nose down to your stomach to feed or pump depending on the trauma and that was quite enlightening. Never thought about that. Any of you got a bracelet?

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Mahalo F.
on 2/3/17 1:50 pm

Hello

I am also @ the Ottawa Hospital Weight management Clinic.

On the morning of D/C after my RNY. I was given a card and asked to place it in my wallet.

The card states that I had the surgery, date, & that I could order food from the kids menu. I thought that was pretty funny.

I personally would not get a Medic Alert bracelet.

All the hospitals here in Ottawa are linked and would have access to all my history.

Take care

Sandra.  

Mahalo.  

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

MC_Akeson
on 2/3/17 4:30 pm - Ontario, Canada

I got that same card and it's nice that it states all the info medics would need. Just not sure if I end up unconscious somewhere that they would automatically go through my wallet (if it's even with me) to look for info. I will definitely put all that info in my phone's first aid app though. I'm an hour out of Ottawa and don't think there's much people around here who underwent WLS.

I liked the thought of having permission to order off of the kid's menu ;-)

Kathy1212
on 2/3/17 8:55 pm

I didn't get any sort of card at all; nothing.  I would have liked a med card and a menu card asking for permission to order off the kiddie menu.

I had to travel far for surgery so there won't be any records in my home town. I think a medic alert bracelet is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/17 5:43 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Meals on the kids menu are usually crap so not missing much and another thing, restaurants don't have to honour any card that says we can order from that menu.  I order regular meals and bring the leftovers home since the options on the real menu are far better for us anyway. Many restaurants will let you order off the senior's menu since they are smaller portions or they will customize meals to suit us.  I often ask for no starch on the plate and ask them to add more veggies or a side salad, etc and most are fine with that.  Lots of people share a meal with their spouse or a friend.

MC_Akeson
on 2/4/17 10:38 am - Ontario, Canada

Here is a pic of the card I got. I saved it in all the cells phones in the house and made a paper copy for my husband. I think you should be able to right-click on it and save it. The website listed at the bottom is more detailed Detailed Info Page

skinny_gigi
on 2/4/17 5:43 pm

that's handy! i hope i get one..

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Kathy1212
on 2/5/17 6:34 am

THank you so much for this, and for all of the other info you were kind enough to share.  I wonder why St. Joe's doesn't give as much info (or any)?

Hugs,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

MC_Akeson
on 2/5/17 6:40 am - Ontario, Canada

You are welcomed! Like I said in another post, I don't understand why all the centres are under the Ontario Bariatric Network but yet operate differently, give different instructions for before, during and after surgery and don't give the same hard copies of resources. From a province to another I can understand but within the same one I find that weird. 

Patm
on 2/5/17 7:44 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Most kids menus are awful. All chips and chicken nuggets. It is of course up to the restaurant whether they allow you to order from this menu

I eat out a lot and tend towards appetizers. Otherwise I order and take home the remainder

Most Active
Recent Topics