clarification from guelph and windsor on protein and vitamins

leeann73
on 2/10/17 7:39 am

Hello there:

If you are not having surgery at Guelph then you don't need to worry about this but as many were talking about the premier protein after surgery and vitamins, I called the dietician at Windsor to get clarification, as our post diet food plan does not say to have premier protein.  Here is what the dietician said (again, only for Guelph)

• the  premier protein and protein shakes are too thick and dense and can irritate the stomach
  • the clear liquids as stated in the program allow the stomach to heal as it is very swollen
  • the main concern is hydration and not protein in the immediate stages - she said the health consequences of being dehydrated are worse than the health consequences of low protein (at the very beginning)
  • she said they find that those who wait until 1 month after surgery to start the protein drinks have less nausea and less irritation of the stomach

With respect to vitamins, she said that a few days after the surgery, if the clear fluids are being held down well, to try the multivitamin chewables until the 3-4 week follow up appointment - use common sense and only take it if it is being tolerated well

this is not intended to spark a debate about the different hospital guidelines, but when I am going through my Guelph and Windsor material there was no mention of protein shakes so I called to get some clarification

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Wayne H.
on 2/10/17 8:13 am
RNY on 02/08/17

It is intriging to see the different approches but I agree, stick with what your individual programs suggest. We are all in good hands afterall.  

Same with the optifast programs..some say 3 weeks, sme say 2 weeks and I have read where some folks took it for shorter periods still. 

leeann73
on 2/10/17 8:14 am

hey Wayne - what is a "day in the life of" like for you in the early days home from surgery?

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Wayne H.
on 2/10/17 8:51 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Good idea. I will post on main forum.  

Starnaenae
on 2/10/17 8:47 am

it amazes me the difference in programs!! for me, i am through TWH but had my surgery in guelph and the differences between the two programs are pretty different, even being on opti. im glad that you got clarification. one thing ive learned (im 6 weeks out) is that you become VERY in tune with your body through this process... its very interesting! 

i had no issues with the vitamins - started taking them right away i also was drinking two premier shakes a day when i got home with no issues. no one body is the same, so as it was advised, definitely listen to your body!! good luck on your journey :) 

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/17 9:29 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Curious if they allow the nectar protein shakes like Isopure has since they are the same consistency as water?  Actually surprised to hear that Guelph has now changed that you are allowed protein shakes even a month later.  At one time, it was never allowed to use them ever and I think they even did clear liquids only for the first 30 days.  Now I am a dinosaur on here so have seen so much in the last 12 years.  LOL

LauraLeafFan
on 2/10/17 11:14 am

Hey Leeann,

Are you with Guelph just for the surgery or did you do a few classes with them?  I ask because I went through TWH for all my classes and am going to be having my surgery at Guelph.  All I got when I met the surgeon was a purple/pink paper laying out what one week post op would look like... and nothing further.  I know they do one week of clear fluids where TWH only does clear fluids for the first 2 days while in hospital. 

So thanks for sharing the information as I would have just carried on with what I learned from TWH.

My surgery is Valentine's Day ...and I so can't wait!!

Laura

Referral MARCH 2016, Orientation JUNE 2016, Surgery FEBRUARY 14TH 2017

HW 272lbs 10 months Post-Op CW 175.7lbs

Kathy1212
on 2/10/17 1:46 pm

I wonder why every place is different?

I'm so glad I'm allowed premier protein as it makes life so much easier.  I was told that protein is more important tha****er and that it counts toward liquid, and also helps our bodies to heal. 

It's all very confusing, to get such drastically different advice depending on place.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Wayne H.
on 2/10/17 5:20 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

I was told the same. Protein helps to heal faster.

Most Active
Recent Topics