Huge NSV

Cinderz
on 2/19/17 9:50 pm

Mobility has always been an issue, at least for the past few years. I had a work related injury that has permanently damaged my lower back. The heavier I got the less I was able to move, I've lived in pain for so many years that it is normal to me. I've refused narcotics and have just adjusted to life as it was. I always needed to sit after standing for 3-5 minutes, I missed out on so many activities simply because I couldn't stand or walk. Not long after I attended my orientation, almost a year ago, I bought a treadmill....I lasted about 3 minute the first time I tried it...I didn't go on it again until about 4 months before surgery...I started with 5 minutes and increased it by a minute every day until I was up to 30 min. It wasn't easy, I was heaving and out of breath, sweating and feeling gross and my back was always killing me by the end of every session. I hated every second of it but pushed myself to get on the treadmill everyday, sometimes I would have to stop and sit for a minute or two to take the pressure off my back, but then I'd get back on. I wasn't able to get on the treadmill during optifast stage because I felt physically sick everytime I tried. I waited about 4 weeks after surgery before I tried the treadmill again and after 8 weeks, I had to rebuild my momentum back up, it didn't take nearly as long and before long I was walking 40 min, the difference this time, I wasn't sweating and feeling gross, my back hurt but it wasn't unbearable, my heart was going but I wasn't heaving for breath. I remember taking my first walk to the corner store (about 6 blocks away) and thought how easy it was, I'd have dreaded that before surgery as there is no where to sit along the way in the event my back needed a break. Every day gets easier, today however, I truly impressed myself, I walked 8 km, over 12000 steps (not including the regular steps I got in!) and never sat down once! Yes my back was hurting but it was bearable, I was no longer carrying around 74 lbs that I was 16 weeks ago. I'm sure tomorrow I will be tender but I don't care...I walked 8 km today! My Fitbit for the first time started vibrating on my wrist because I met all 6 goals I set out for myself for the first time since purchasing it after Christmas. 

I will no longer tell my daughter I can't do something with her out of fear of not being able to sit and take the pressure off my back or the fear I am so out of shape that I physically can't do it. I will not cringe the next time I'm asked to to a 5k! Though my back is permanently damaged, the weight loss has definitely taken a lot of the pressure off allowing me to live a somewhat normal life. 

leeann73
on 2/20/17 3:46 am

That is amazing!  I just love reading that. How are you doing?  I think of you often wondering how the recovery is going. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Cinderz
on 2/20/17 8:25 am

Hi Leeann, 

Thank you for your reply. Overall I am doing well. My recovery was slow at first but I've bounced back. I still experience a little pain every once in awhile if I overdue it, I've really learned to listen to my body since surgery. 

You must be so excited about your surgery tomorrow! Good luck, I will be thinking of you!!

crqvingchange
on 2/20/17 4:40 am

Cinderz I love this NSV.  It shows all of your hard work and determination.  Improving my mobility issues and getting stronger has been the biggest reward for me.  I now think in terms of possibilities instead of terms of limitations.  You are amazing.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Cinderz
on 2/20/17 8:32 am

Thank you crqvingchange, 

I also now think of possibilities and not limitations. 4 years in a row I planned a trip to Niagra Falls with my daughter, the last time I was there I was pregnant with her and she has never been...4 years in a row I cancelled it because of the limitations. Not just walking, I had prior to surgery slept in a reclining chair for over 4 years as my back couldn't bare my weight if I was laying down and so even sleeping in a hotel would have been a challenge...so I guess sleeping in a bed again is also a NSV. I definitley look at what I can do and not what I can't do!

roxytrim
on 2/20/17 4:45 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Kathy1212
on 2/20/17 5:04 am

Cindi, that is an amazing NSV!  I am so happy for you!  I bet it will just keep getting better and better from here on in.

Take care

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Candi P.
on 2/20/17 5:29 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/01/17

Wow Cinderz!! Such an amazing NSV!! I cant wait for that day that I can have a similar NSV to you.  You have given me such hope, with regards to my back after surgery :) 

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Social Work Assessment: September 22nd, 2016, Nursing: October 17th, 2016, Nutrition: November 9, 2016, Psychology: January 10, 2017, Dietitian: January 12, 2017, Got Approval from Rounds: Jan 19, 2017, Meeting Surgeon: March 17, 2017, Pre-Op Appt: July 11, 2017, RNY Surgery Booked: Aug 1st, 2017 @ TWH

HW: 372.1, SW: 352.6, M1: 27.2, M2: 8, M3: 10.3 M4:

Cinderz
on 2/20/17 8:42 am

Hi Candi,

I have been learning that a lot more is possible due to weight loss, As I've mentioned, the damage is permanent and the pain is constant, though definitley not as intense, but you adjust and learn to live/deal with it, once I reach goal, I will have them do a complete re examination of my back, I am sure the weight has affected me over he last several years and as I switched doctors about 3 years ago, when I asked him to look into my back issues he blamed everything on me being overweight, despite the medical charts stating I had a pre existing back injury (actually 3) My old Doctor mentioned surgery several years ago but also gave me a 60/40 chance of walking again afterwards due to the location of the damage, I didn't  like those odds. I look forward to hearing about your recovery and the benifits it has on your physical health.

Candi P.
on 2/20/17 9:00 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/01/17

WOW! This post really gives me hope.  Surgery scares me as well.  I am not sure of your issues, however when I seen the back surgeon he said I didnt need it at that point, but if I dont get the weight off and keep moving my back is going to get worse.  So here we are 3 years later finally doing something about getting the weight off.  I look forward to your updates as well, and see how great your back does with the weight off.  And I agree, I hate living in constant pain. Really sucks :( 

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Social Work Assessment: September 22nd, 2016, Nursing: October 17th, 2016, Nutrition: November 9, 2016, Psychology: January 10, 2017, Dietitian: January 12, 2017, Got Approval from Rounds: Jan 19, 2017, Meeting Surgeon: March 17, 2017, Pre-Op Appt: July 11, 2017, RNY Surgery Booked: Aug 1st, 2017 @ TWH

HW: 372.1, SW: 352.6, M1: 27.2, M2: 8, M3: 10.3 M4:

Most Active
Recent Topics