post-op prep - what should I be doing/preparing for after surgery

Simplyb
on 4/3/17 5:28 am
RNY on 04/12/17

What did you prepare or buy for the first few days/week at home in terms of food and fluids and actually use?

i want to get organized and keep busy.

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Mahalo F.
on 4/3/17 6:11 am, edited 4/2/17 11:11 pm

Good morning!

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery...

Pack a bag with a sleep shirt.... Wear loose fitting clothes to the hospital. All you need is a tooth brush, tooth paste, deodorant & lotion for dry skin. Bring lip balm, your phone & charger. Some people bring books, Kobo readers, IPads etc.

I did not.... I did not sleep well the night before. I had to be a hospital @ 5:30 am. Spent most of operative day sleeping on & off.

I remember struggling to text my family & friends that surgery had gone well. I was in recovery until 2:30 pm. Focused mainly on sips of water & walking in the corridor. Had family visiting in the evening. Not much room for anything else.

At home? I purchased bottled water, sugar free popsicles, caffeine free Camomile tea, Gerber Baby Oatmeal, Costco Premiere Protein Shakes, Sugar free jello, apple juice to dilute 1/2 & 1/2.

As you progress through the sips of water, liquid protein, full fluids, soft and onwards, you will know what you need.

Chewable Multivitamins, Chewable Calcium Citrate, Vitamin D & Vitamin B12.

Our mantra here is to

SIP?WALK?REST?REPEAT

Follow the rules and everything will go well....

come back here daily. This forum was my biggest support!

Good luck

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Simplyb
on 4/3/17 10:11 am
RNY on 04/12/17

I was thinking more along the lines what I should put in the fridge freezer for me as I will not be grocery shopping after - Easter weekend will be a zoo!

I have the book, weight loss surgery guide & diet program, but reality is often a different story.

Did anyone use it their leftover Opti for stage 2, full fluids?

Did anyone find a good protein rich soup to blenderize - not sure if I should make my own right now and freeze as ice cubes.

Which whey did you buy and from where?

I went to Healthy Planet this morning and went cross-eyed, same with Costco.

I guess I want to be ready, ready.

lexxiblue
on 4/3/17 11:58 am
RNY on 01/11/12

don't forget to stock up on restoralax, benefibre, ... senokot.. anything that will help you MOVE your stools... they don't tell you this.. anywhere thru your journey prior to surgery that you may have issues in the "poop department"!!!!! and you will!!! good luck

Kathy1212
on 4/3/17 9:07 am

I brought everything that Sandra suggested, plus Biotene spray for dry mouth, dry shampoo, a book, my tablet, phone, and after surgery my friend brought me my laptop.

I was unable to sleep much, and I finished the book too quickly so I watched movies on Netflix, and kept up with my family and friends online (I had to travel 500 km for surgery).

I also had a small travel pillow to hold against my incision for car travel and it helped a lot.

I bought my vitamins and some premade shakes (premier protein), as well as protein powder, in case I didn't like the premier protein. As it turned out, I couldn't stand any of the protein powders I bought but loved the premier protein.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Simplyb
on 4/3/17 1:45 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

So i found a UNH PDF of a guide to eating well before and after bariatric surgery it lists the following products to have ready:

Buy these things before surgery

? Protein supplement/shakes (enough for at least 2/day for 4 weeks

? Chewable multivitamin-mineral supplement

? Chewable calcium with vitamin D supplemen

? Dissolvable vitamin B12 supplements

? Other vitamins and minerals (if recommended by your Bariatric health Team) ?

Blender or Food Processor

? Small bowl, cups, plates and utensils

? Small food storage containers and freezer bags

? Canned broth

? No sugar added Jell-O®

? Sugar-free Popsicles®

? Smooth texture soups

? No sugar added yogurt

? No sugar added pudding

any tips or tricks from pros - i may have support but i have no faith in their ability to buy the right stuff without a picture and directions to the store and aisle

Kathy1212
on 4/3/17 1:50 pm

I didn't need a blender/chopper until I started pureed foods, but everything else is good to have on hand right after surgery.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Mahalo F.
on 4/3/17 6:16 pm, edited 4/3/17 10:50 pm

WOW I did not get too caught up with making a list...

I would not get too caught up in putting stuff in the freezer...

Broths- Absolutely but you may find that your palette may not like what you bought... I went through 5 different broths and finally found Maggi Bouillon.

I am not sure where you live but I find the President's Choice Greek Yogurt 80 Calories, 9 gms of protein. Skyr is another one.

If you live close to the USA Danone Lean & Fit Greek Yogurt.... 80 cal 12 grams of protein...

Miss it like crazy

I found the sugar free jello was difficult to chew and swallow...

I make lentil soup & vegetable and bean soups!

I wouldn't go too crazy preparing and throwing stuff in the freezer... You need to experiment and find what works for you, you may find that what you like one day may not sit well with you other times...

I was out & about 5 days post op...

I used what I already had in my home...

Once again good luck!

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Simplyb
on 4/4/17 5:02 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

Thanks, I live in Toronto so presidents choice will be my new best friend.

I think I want lists so that I have some form of control.

I always like to be prepared, and hate being caught off guard.

Feel free to share the soup recipes - I love soup - and understand I am in for feeling cold all the time.

Most Active
Recent Topics