How long is the hospital stay? I want as long as possible! Are there private rooms!

Lucile777
on 4/26/17 9:08 pm

After surgery I'd like to stay as long as possible because I have 2 kids that will want me and I want to have as long as possible to heal. Plus it will give the hubby a chance to help out! Humber btw.

Starnaenae
on 4/27/17 4:09 am

generally 24-72 hours.. unless there are complications you will be out pretty quickly

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Ginnny
on 4/27/17 4:20 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

My surgery was Monday was released on Wednesday.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

LauraLeafFan
on 4/27/17 6:52 am

Last I heard Humber keeps you only one night...unless complications.

Lucile777
on 4/27/17 8:28 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Where did you have yours?

LauraLeafFan
on 4/27/17 11:36 am

I went to Guelph...stayed 5 nights but had complications that kept me 3 extra nights...hubby went to TWH and stayed 2 nights. Hope this helps.

Lucile777
on 4/27/17 12:03 pm

What sort of complications if you don't mind?

LauraLeafFan
on 4/27/17 1:55 pm

Yea I have No issues sharing....i had surgery Tuesday Feb 14th and had no issues until the noticed Thursday morning my blood count was dropping. My surgeon asked if I was throwing up blood or passing it through my rectum and I said no. He told me they were keeping me the night and would run blood again in the morning. Well by that afternoon I was passing blood through my rectum by then the surgeon had canceled all blood thinners going forward. He came back in and thought I would see blood eventually. He figured the blood thinner may have been the cause or I had popped a blood vessel ...so I was given a shot of vitamin k and he assured me that no surgery was necessary as these things usually heal themselves. I did receive 2 units of blood as my blood got down to about 90. The bleeding stopped with in 12 hours but he wanted me to stay the extra nights to allow me to focus on drinking and make sure my blood counts were coming up. The great part was once the blood showed up I never had gas pains again. Ask all the questions you want as I pretty much will answer all.

Lucile777
on 4/27/17 6:51 pm

Whoa. That's pretty serious. I'm glad to hear your blood count went back up. If you don't mind then I have several questions: How is the pain now? Do you feel hungry? Do you feel full fast? Would you do it all over again if you had to? Which surgeon? Was he good? How were the nurses? Did you get a private room? Have you lost a lot of weight? Are people noticing? Has this been hard? Was the Optifast difficult? Do you have regular bow el movements? How is the fatigue?

LauraLeafFan
on 4/27/17 8:34 pm

Honestly I was told my complication only happens in 5% of patients and once I knew I wasn't going in for more surgery I was fine. I wasn't scared I knew I was in great hands. I am pain free... I never took a pain pill after I got home. Only time I had discomfort was when I didn't chew my food enough and ate too fast. I had a sore tummy but never threw up. I never feel hungry or full ...we were told those feelings don't show up again for about a year. I know when I have ate enough as I get hiccups or I get a mild discomfort...however I measure all my food...i only have issues with dense protein where I get that slight discomfort. I would do it all over again without hesitation. I am very thankful. I absolutely loved Guelph ...i had Dr. Bhojani and found him to be great...checked in on me daily once or twice....i had a great experience with my nurses. I was in a semi private room. Since starting opti I have lost 46 lbs...yes lots notice as I have gone down 2 pant sizes. I didn't find opti tough at all... vanilla was sweet but I added sugar free cocoa and sugar free syrups. Chocolate I didn't mind...i added ice and enjoyed it cold. My bowels are working find and I don't take any extra softness or laxatives. I make sure I get enough fiber in my food. I don't find it hard... I meal plan and make sure my meals are ready. I am on the go a lot but there are days I can take a nap....however if I have things to do I can stay on the go without my nap. For me this was an awesome decision...my highest weight was 272.5.(Oct 2016) ..currently 217.

Most Active
Recent Topics