speeding up the process?

Ursie_mum
on 5/17/17 5:35 am

Hello!

This is my first post and I am happy to have found an active online support group to help me through this! I have just begun the process for weight loss surgery and I am curious if anyone has any tips to move ahead on the wait list? My intention is not to rush through the process or jump in front of the line in anyway (not that it's possible!), but I am only thinking of the time I will need to take off work after surgery and when it would be the best time to be off for one month from work - so just trying to plan around the busy months!

Any advice on the process would be greatly appreciated! (I am going to Toronto Western Hosp)

Thanks!

oneatatime
on 5/17/17 10:26 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi ursie_mum,

Welcome and congratulations for taking this big step!

I am also at the beginning of the process, and also going through TWH. I have just had my orientation last week, and have my first appointment (nurse practitioner) next week.

The advice I got from this site was to call for cancellations. My orientation wasn't even scheduled until June. When I got my letter and called to confirm, I asked if there were any cancellations in any earlier sessions. Yes!!!

At the orientation, we were all handed our first three appointments. I called the next morning and asked about cancellations. I was able to move them up from August and September to May and June.

I have all my paperwork in order, blood test done.

My advice: be friendly to everyone you speak to (they really want to help!), be organized, and be your own best advocate. And come here a lot. The folks here are an incredible source of information and inspiration.

Welcome and good luck!!!

Ursie_mum
on 5/17/17 10:56 am

Thank you oneatatime! This is great advice and i will definitely follow your suggestions! (I think you and I were at the same session last week :-)

oneatatime
on 5/17/17 11:16 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Oh amazing! Where were you sitting? And were you alone or with anyone? Haha. Lemme see if I can remember who you are!!! :)

Ursie_mum
on 5/17/17 11:21 am

2nd row from the front, directly beside the registration desk

I was alone. :-)

oneatatime
on 5/17/17 11:42 am
RNY on 09/01/17

I was on the other side. Lol. I was alone too. Truth be told, I haven't told anyone yet, so had no one to bring!! This is my support group for now. I'll tell people eventually. :) Inkeep thinking I want to know I'm approved, then I can tell a few people.

Lucile777
on 5/22/17 7:49 pm

It is really good that you were given your first three appointments at Orientation. At Humber a River they've told us to wait up to 10 weeks before we hear front them again for our first appointments. Wait is killing me. Argh!

Ursie_mum
on 5/25/17 5:14 pm

I was quite impressed as well! Good luck to you, Luclle777

oneatatime
on 5/29/17 12:55 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Hopefully it begins to move quickly for you!!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Jackie S.
on 5/19/17 7:14 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/07/17

HEY - welcome to the journey!

I had my information session in Dec and will be having RNY June 7. I was initially told that in Ottawa it would take a minimum of 9 months.

I have worked the program! I worked HARD. I agree that you should treat every person very kindly. They are there literally for US. if not for us they would not be working in this section, right? If you do the work, stay honest and positive, you will be rewarded.

You can also look at what month at work is the least active so that when you do have your appts you can ask what time frames you are looking at if all goes without a hitch.

Best of luck! and Welcome! I am new too.

Referral: NOV/16 Info Sess: DEC/16 OptiFAST: 3wks started May 17/17 OR: RNY June 7/17

HW:278 SW:252 1stGW:220 2ndGW:200 3rdGW:170 GW:150

Weight Management Clinic - Ottawa

Most Active
Recent Topics