Support Group meetings?

Jackie S.
on 5/29/17 9:53 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/07/17

So, as most of you know I found this forum not long ago... Almost two weeks ago when I started Optifast. You have all been wonderful do I have a question about support groups run by the various Ontario WLS programs.

I attended my first meeting tonight and I can tell you I am very happy I did not start these at the beginning of my journey. Today's discussion focused on a study done on "The Biggest Loser" contestants from one of the seasons. Had anyone been to a talk about this?

I don't really want to get into to many particulars but all to say I left feeling incredibly discouraged. The basic premise, that I understand, was that because people like us have most likely done extreme weight loss over the years. And if that is the case then or metabolism is already messed up and the chances of us regaining is inevitable and it is almost impossible to "maintain" the results we will achieve with WLS.

I told my husband when I came out that if I had attended this at the beginning of this process.... I would have probably walked away.

Now, it makes even more determined to prove the nay-sayers wrong. And moreover, the dietician who made the presentation.

Maybe this turned into a rant but has anyone heard about this study? Is there a more positive outlook on the information that I am missing?

TIA for your feedback.

Referral: NOV/16 Info Sess: DEC/16 OptiFAST: 3wks started May 17/17 OR: RNY June 7/17

HW:278 SW:252 1stGW:220 2ndGW:200 3rdGW:170 GW:150

Weight Management Clinic - Ottawa

Daisydoo02
on 5/30/17 3:43 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

I don't know that study nor do I go to "in person" support groups. I stick to OH. I had RNY surgery at Toronto Western Hospital November 2013. My highest weight was 275 lbs and I got down to 125 lbs and I maintain between 125 - 130 lbs at 3.7 years out of surgery.

This is just my opinion... regain is NOT inevitable. And maintenance is hard yes won't lie about that but its totally 100% doable if you are willing to put in the work and follow the rules.

Its like driving a car, take your eyes off the road and you swerve. Maintenance is like that, take your eyes off the "rules" and stray and sure you will gain weight. Stick to the plan, work hard and accept that this is FOR LIFE you will do fine. There is no "magic" its hard work. But for me I did not come this far to screw it all up and like you said I have an inner burning desire to prove the "nay sayers" that WLS is NOT the easy way out, its hard work but so worth it for me living my best health.

Best of luck to you, glad you came to OH. Good luck on your surgery!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Jackie S.
on 5/30/17 5:09 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/07/17

Please see response below. THANK YOU!

Referral: NOV/16 Info Sess: DEC/16 OptiFAST: 3wks started May 17/17 OR: RNY June 7/17

Patm
on 5/30/17 4:44 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Sorry the support group was a downer. It did bring up a good discussion. Not so much on this board but on some of the general ones who can almost guess who will be successful and who will not. You have people less than a month out trying pizza and other crap.

You came away from the meeting determined to prove the study wrong. So it had a good effect in some ways. The first couple of years are the easiest. It does get harder and you do have to have commitment to a new lifestyle.

The first year you can cheat and lose weight but it will not help to get into new habits

Jackie S.
on 5/30/17 5:09 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/07/17

Please see response below. THANK YOU!

Jackie S.
on 5/30/17 5:08 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/07/17

Thank you ladies! I agree that this is a life long process and I agree that this is not a magic pill per se. I have fought and worked too hard to get here to throw it all away! I was pretty discouraged when I left group last night but this morning I am determined and driven. My whole goal in the adventure is to see lower numbers on the scale, yes, but more importantly to live a healthier lifestyle and become physically mentally and spiritually healthier. I am doing this in order to be alive to see my children become parents, grow old with my DH and enjoy life.

I am so happy I found this forum! Everyone had been so kind, informative, and supportive. Thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics