Giving up pop

KatieCJ
on 7/6/17 5:35 pm

If you were a pop drinker, how did you give it up?

Right now, I'm reducing to once a day, and I plan to quit completely July 20th. My plan is to replace with more water, crystal light iced tea and the occasional Gatorade G2.

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/17 5:54 pm

Cold turkey... I still wake up in the middle of the night craving that Dr Pepper.. gave it up 5 years ago.. and this year gave up club soda..

Meggles07
on 7/6/17 5:56 pm - Canada

I found it extremely hard to give up pop before surgery and it actually held me up in the process because the one NUT wanted me to be pop free for a month before she passed me on to the next stage. I think I had one pop the week before surgery (don't recommend this), and then absolutely none during opti. I think I was probably 10 or 11 months out when my brother used my old sodasteam to make some fizzy water. I took one sip and it burned the whole way down. Makes me wonder what pop was doing to me before surgery. I haven't had any since and can't see myself having it again. I buy a ton of differen****er flavourings so I have a selection throughout the day.

Meg~

SweetRide1
on 7/6/17 6:23 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I gave up pop and all carbonated beverages two months ago. Cold turkey. I only drink water with lemon, herbal teas, milk and the occasional V8 or tomato juice.

I'm not missing it and I feel better already.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Jackie S.
on 7/7/17 4:19 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/07/17

COLD TURKEY. Took about 2 weeks before the headaches subsided. I did orientation Dec 2016, stopped pop Jan 1. I figured the sooner the better to make the lifestyle changes that I will have to keep up with post surg

Referral: NOV/16 Info Sess: DEC/16 OptiFAST: 3wks started May 17/17 OR: RNY June 7/17

HW:278 SW:252 1stGW:220 2ndGW:200 3rdGW:170 GW:150

Weight Management Clinic - Ottawa

OrangeBlossom17
on 7/7/17 8:36 am

I didn't realize how much pop I was actually drinking until I tried to stop. My first step was not buying any so it wasn't in the house, so no diet coke at home. Next I tackled work and added eliminating coffee at the same time. It took about 3 months before I finally kicked the habit. Now I mostly drink water with a squeeze of lime in it.

Referred:Oct 2016 Orientation: Jan 9th/17 Nurse: Apr 4th/17 PreOp Class 1: Apr 2017 Nut/SW:Jun 13th/17 Psych:Jun 29th/17 PreOp Class 2: July 11th/17 Meet the Surgeon:July 12th/17 Endoscopy: July 21st/17 RNY Surgery: August 25th/17

Opti-15lbs M1-18.5lbs M2-12.5lbs M3-10lbs M4-10lbs M5-4lbs M6-15lbs, M7-5lbs M8-

Jo0710
on 7/7/17 9:26 am

I was cold turkey as well. However, I had half a can on Christmas Day (day before opti fast started) and it tasted awful. I haven't touched it since so almost 6.5 months now.

I was addicted to diet coke and drank A TON! There were days I would drink a 2L and not blink an eye. Looking back at it, that was so gross.

I'm in such a better spot now and don't plan on ever going back to it no matter what.

Now I drink, decaf coffee, tea (peppermint or apple cinnamon from tims or passion tea from starbucks), crystal light pink lemonade or just plan water. There's times where I really want something other than water and that's when I'll add the pink lemonade but it's not often. I had a small iced coffee the other day - bad me.

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

Mahalo F.
on 7/7/17 12:26 pm, edited 7/7/17 5:27 am

Hello

COLD TURKEY is the way to go...

I gave it up 3 months pre op.

I only drank Coke Zero... I must say that I really haven't had time to think about the pop. Our house has been pop free for almost a year.

I drink only water with lemon, decaffienated teas & coffee, protein shakes. Honestly.... After having TRY surgery the appetite & cravings were gone.

Getting water & protein in is a struggle. The absolute last thing on my mind was pop.

You will be amazed throughout this journey. You will be surprised how easy it is to walk away from all the things you love...

Good luck

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

KatieCJ
on 7/7/17 8:01 pm

Thanks guys! Cold Turkey seems to be the way to go. I hope I'm one of those that will not miss my diet pepsi, but it's worth it!

Sheacat
on 7/8/17 6:00 am - Belleville, ON
RNY on 07/11/17

I also quit cold turkey. I was a minimum 6 diet cokes a day person (most days its was closer to 10). I almost never drank anything except Diet Coke. I wont lie, the first week was not fun. Headaches the first couple days, and some strong cravings after that. I drank gallons of water, iced tea and Mio/ Nestea. I am 5 months out, and only rarely get cravings for it... and some of the ones I get are more out of habit. Like going through the drive through to get the kids food the other day and realizing that I normally lived for the $1 drink days at McDonalds. It felt strange not getting one, lol. But I honestly dont miss it as much as I thought I would! Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics