Ottawa sleep study

jeanniechelsea
on 7/9/17 6:10 pm

Hi, so I recently had a sleep study complete in Ottawa at elisabeth bruyere and it was horrible. I felt like I was wrapped in a spider web of wires as they were everywhere, and the leads on my head fell off Everytime I moved so the tech had to run in to reapply them. I didn't get much sleep as I couldn't really move and when I did they leads would fall off my head and I would get woken up with them being reapplied. IM worried that I will have to redo the sleep study. Has anyone had any issues like this? What was it like at other Ottawa facilities?? Does everyone have to do a sleep study?

Sheacat
on 7/10/17 3:50 am - Belleville, ON
RNY on 07/11/17

I cant speak to Ottawa, but from experience can tell you they really only need a small amount of sleep to get the results they are looking for. I did my sleep tests in Kingston. One to see if I had sleep apnea (and oh boy, did I ever!) and another one to fit and adjust the CPAP machine. I probably got three hours the first time, and closer to five or so the second time. Good luck with it! They arent the most fun, thats for sure.

Mahalo F.
on 7/10/17 6:20 am, edited 7/9/17 11:20 pm

I had my sleep study at the Civic Hospital.

I had a very difficult time falling asleep.

I was awake periodically throughout the night. I did okay.

All they need is one sleep cycle to to see if you have sleep apnea.

I would not worry too much...

You will have to go back regardless to test pressures for either CPAP or BIPAP machine.

Take care

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Tuktu
on 7/10/17 6:27 am
RNY on 03/07/17

My sleep study felt like torture. Not a pleasant experience at all. They didn't have any bedside tables or lamps - only these huge florescent overhead lights. I had to put my glasses on the floor and I was worried someone would step on them. I hated all the wires too - I'm a tosser/turner so I was constantly getting tangled up. I had to get up to use the washroom about 3 times and that was always such a pain. When I finally fell asleep around 330am they woke me up at 530am to kick me out. I didn't have to redo the study, thank God!

SweetRide1
on 7/10/17 2:17 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I did my sleep study last week and it was horrible. I barely got any sleep. It was difficult to turn over and it took me at least 1 1/2 hours to fall asleep.

But to add to that, I broke out in bed bug bites less than 24 hours later. I am not amused. Bites on my legs, ankles, arms, back and side of my face and neck. Absolutely brutal.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Kalibella
on 7/13/17 11:30 am
RNY on 08/15/17

My sleep study at the Civic was not pleasant at all. During the follow up appointment, the sleep doctor told me that they're looking for things other than sleep. My sense is that if you needed to redo the study, they would have told you right away.

Just remember to go to the follow-up appointments with the sleep doctors, and do whatever they tell you to do. While my machine is the least sexy thing I'll bring to bed with me, it is, quite literally, a life saver.

jeanniechelsea
on 7/13/17 12:04 pm

How long did it take to get the results?

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/17 7:02 pm

I just stayed at the Civic for my second time July 7th. It's not the best night sleep. Too many lights, and I much prefer my comfortable bed. My first time was absolutely awful! They had to wake me up to put the CPAP on, and I never fell back asleep after that. The wires and goop aren't much fun either, and I felt so bad every time I had to buzz somebody to use the washroom.

I had to have a sleep tests done months ago, and I have severe sleep apnea which is why I was actually recommended to Ontario Bariatric Network. Things have been moving along very quick.

Very best of luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics