Toronto Western vs. St. Joe's Hamilton - is one better for bariatric surgery than the other?

Dee321ca
on 7/22/17 5:32 pm

Hi everyone - been lurking for a while and decided to finally register today. I have a question that I would love your opinion on. I was originally told by my doctor that he would put me in the system for bariatric surgery for St. Joes in Hamilton, but i received paperwork and an orientation date from Toronto Western today. I live right in the middle of the two hospitals, so i'm assuming i am just slightly closer to one than the other - hence Toronto Western. My friend went to St. Joes and i was kind of expecting to go there so i'm a little thrown off (and it would be less hassle/traffic to go Hamilton-way than Toronto way from where I live). Does anyone know if one is better than the other or have any experience with any of them? Can you request to switch bariatric centers at orientation or do you have to do it before?

Thanks in advance,

Dee

michelle W.
on 7/23/17 4:47 am
RNY on 06/12/17

I went through Toronto Western and it was good.... I was closer to Humber River. but they put me through TWH... It does take about 1-1.5 years to go through TWH.. I was approx 15 mths from orientation to surgery. I'm not sure if St Joes is faster or not.

I do know that if you are going to switch..it's better to do it before orientation... because they will start you right back at the start at the new hospital.

Good luck to you... hope to hear more about your journey..

Referral - March 23rd 2016 TWH Orientation - June 15 2016 Social - Sept 6 2016 Nurse - Oct 3 2016 Nut Class - Nov 14 2016 Psych - Dec 14 2016 Nut Jan 4 2017 Surgeon - Feb 24 2017 Pre-op May 23 2017 Opti start date May 29 2017 Surgery Date - June 12 2017 HW-285 CW - 154.2 Opti start weight - 261.5 SW - 256

Preop-23.5 Opti-5.5 M1-13.8 M2-14.2 M3-11 M4-9.5 M5-9.9 M6-6.8 M7-9.4 M8-5.9 M9-4.2 M10-4.6 M11-2.4

SweetRide1
on 7/23/17 4:52 am
RNY on 01/16/18

My understanding is that you get referred to a hospital based on your Postal Code and that they only way you can switch is if you actually move.

I had originally asked to go to Humber River (only because I had a friend who went through HRRH and told me to ask because they were great). I live in Waterdown and was referred to St. Joeseph's.

I could be entirely wrong but that was the story I got.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

oneatatime
on 7/23/17 6:30 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Hey there,

Congratulations in starting in the program!

I am going through Toronto Western, and it's been an amazing experience. Everyone on the team I've met is fantastic. I live in Mississauga, so it's a bit of a drive for me every time, and I could easily have gone to Guelph, Hamilton or Humber, but I'm really glad to have been referred to TWH. It's been an above par experience.

Wishing you a great journey!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

helferships
on 7/23/17 12:47 pm
RNY on 11/14/16

I would be very surprised if there was anywhere in Canada with better surgeons or better post-op care anywhere than at TWH. Everyone I encountered during the surgical process was amazing. Maybe I am biased but I understand it's the best, particularly with pioneering laparoscopic techniques. Being downtown and part of the University Health Network also means they attract top talent. Just my $0.02 but I would stick with TWH if you can.

birdiegirl
on 7/23/17 3:23 pm

Yes you are biased. But that's natural if you've had a good experience.

FYI. The sugeon who started the program works out of St Joes. He travels the world teaching this surgery.

And yes, I think Hamilton is a fabulous program!

Dee321ca
on 7/23/17 1:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the very helpful comments! It's good to know that TWH is a reputable place - I know nothing about Toronto hospitals at all so I have no idea if one place is better than another or if it is all kind of the same experience. I was only hoping for St. Joes because it was where my friend went for hers and she has told me so much about that one that I almost felt part of it. She mentioned they have a private Facebook support group for all of the St. Joes bariatric patients. Does TWH or the University health network have anything like that too? How does the meetings and appointments go for TWH? What are the steps? If anyone could take the time to fill me in I would be so grateful! Thanks again :)

oneatatime
on 7/23/17 9:16 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi again,

I don't know of a Facebook group. They do have weekly in person support group meetings. I haven't been because it's pretty far for me.

M'as for the appointments: you will get an invitation in the next few weeks by mail for your orientation. It will also have an information package you must complete and send back.

At orientation, you will get the dates for your first three appointments: nurse practitioner; social worker; and group dietitian. You will also get "homework" to do at your orientation... bloodwork, forms, food journal... bring all that to your first appointment. They will decide along the way if you need more tests, or to move you along.

You will then see the psychologist and 1:1 dietitian. Then you meet the surgeon and get your surgery date!

You'll notice in my signature I moved all my dates up quite a bit by calling for cancellations. If your schedule if flexible and that's of interest to you, you can too once you get started. Some people prefer the pace set by the centre.

All the best on your journey!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Dee321ca
on 7/24/17 12:17 pm

Great info! Thank you!

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/17 9:13 am

Hi,

I am Pre------ OP.... pre pre op...lol ...

I was at HRRH for the program 2 x and backed out. I could not get the sleeve and I needed it for my meds.

Then I finally decided - to try again....at TWH and it has been amazing from the intake person to the NP and the amazing surgeons ... kind supportive and helpful. I have heard great things about Paul Sullivan at StJoes and Dennis Hong in Hamilton as well.

Bottom line----- it is whatever is the easiest for you... we are lucky... we have like 3 awesome centers within 1 hr of each other here in the GGTA ( greater greater Toronto area)

Good Luck!

JO

Most Active
Recent Topics