AFTER SURGERY

missmac67
on 8/11/17 5:11 am
RNY on 08/01/17

Hi - it's me MJ! I have been reading a lot of posts, mostly on the FB groups about what to expect after surgery. I had my RNY out of Toronto Western Hospital (TWH). A lot of people don't realize how sore your throat will be after surgery. They put a pretty good size tube down it to help you breath. Your throat will be sore, so best advice as soon as you are able it to is to request ice chips. My throat was really sore and it really helped!

Also don't let anyone tell you not to bring your cell phone! Yes, if you have your surgery in the morning you will be pretty out of it until probably the next morning, but they have you walking the halls ASAP. For me that was 9:00 pm I had my surgery at 11:00 am. You do not get to "set up" your room before you go into surgery so a few things here: When you check in to Pre-Op they will put all your things in a plastic bag. So don't (if you can) bring your overnight bag in - my Darling BF left it in the car and brought it to my room later. Have your family member make sure that they send your bag of clothes to your room once you are settled in. They say they will do it but we had to follow up. Have them hold your phone until they leave. There is a phone in the room but it has be activated. Hassle especially if you go home the next day like I did. So if you are concerned about your phone then sleep with it under your pillow. The lady next to me didn't have her phone and her relative called her to see how she was doing. Had to go through the nurses station and it was difficult. They will not let you use an extension cord. I ordered at 6 ft. iPhone cord from Amazon - it was dirt cheap and worth it! DON'T FOR GET THE ICE!! #respectyourpouch

TOGETHER we can be BETTER

Best, MJ

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/17 6:13 am - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

Thank you MJ, your tips will definitely come in handy next mth!!

missmac67
on 8/11/17 7:11 am, edited 8/11/17 12:11 am
RNY on 08/01/17

Oh the THEM in "get them to hold your cell phone" is your friend or family member who is with you. LOL

Best, MJ

Kathy1212
on 8/11/17 7:45 am

I was lucky, no sore throat at all, but I did have a very dry mouth, and lots of pain due to not being able to take the full dose of my pain meds. A tiny travel pillow helped me a lot as I held it against me every time I had to get up.

My family brought my laptop to me after surgery and it was wonderful having it there as I couldn't sleep...it was great getting to log in here, and catch up on what was happening with everyone at home via Facebook too. Netflix was also a great help in distracting myself from the pain.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

TheRealMeWithin
on 8/11/17 11:37 am - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

I also did not have any soreness in my throat, just a dry mouth.

I didn't use my laptop. I basically slept, walked and tried to get some liquid in. THATS IT!

I was there 2 nights, my day after surgery was NOT FUN, so I even denied my family from coming to see me that day. I didn't want my kids to see me like that. Day 3 on got better & better.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/17 8:43 am

LOVE these tips- I live with my phone....you mean I can't bring it in with me during surgery heeheeheee......

Beachgirl77
on 8/11/17 5:23 pm

I also didn't have a sore throat at all, wouldn't have even known I had a tube down my throat lol

i brought my phone , but honestly didn't really go on it . At Humber I was given a private room and my husband stayed with me the 2 nights and he ordered the TV but we really didn'****ch much, between trying to get fluids in and walking as much as I could, I slept the time I was in my room .

eLoon77
on 8/12/17 1:05 pm
RNY on 09/22/17

Are partners permitted to spend the night with the WLS patients after surgery at TWH? Our plan is to take my son (who is 2yrs old) to my sisters overnight or for the weekend if needed and to have my partner there at the hospital to help me out. Will he be able to stay overnight. Also right now we don't have insurance so should we opt to pay for a private room? What are the recovery rooms like? Thanks to anyone who knows!!

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

missmac67
on 8/12/17 1:20 pm
RNY on 08/01/17

Hi! I am sorry I don't know about partners, but I am pretty sure it would be okay. Best to call admissions. I have insurance so I had a semi-private room. It was very comfortable. It is my understanding that a private room would be more than $350 per night. TWH is moving to having people stay only one night if they are in good shape and well enough to go home. When is your surgery? Good luck!!!

Best, MJ

eLoon77
on 8/12/17 1:29 pm
RNY on 09/22/17

Surgery is on September 22! So 6 weeks away. I'm fine with semi private I just wasn't certain of their set up. I'm sure it might have additional fees as well but not as much as private. That's too much! I'm hoping we will only need to be there one night. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery! If my partner doesn't get much sleep my sister can always keep my son an extra night so he can sleep when we get home.

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

Most Active
Recent Topics