Medical Bracelet - Important to have

missmac67
on 8/13/17 2:31 am
RNY on 08/01/17

Hi - it's me MJ! I learned first hand from a nurse why it is so important as Bariatric patients to have a medical ID bracelet.

We have altered our bodies and we need EMTs and hospitals to know! No NSAIDS (anti inflammatories) no Blind NG, and no Sugars. So here is the deal. No NSAIDS goes without saying but what the heck is a Blind NG? It is a tube that is put down our nose to clear out the contents of our stomachs. Well if we don't alert them that we no longer have that pathway they can puncture our pouch! With the medical bracelet we can alert them to this and they can do the procedure with an Xray. Did you know that saline solutions (for IV's) contain sugars? I didn't! If our medical ID bracelet says No sugars they can replace regular saline solutions for ones that don't have sugar.

Make sure that you order a bracelet that can hold these important instructions along with your name and the phone number (and name if possible) of your ICE (In Case of Emergency) I ordered a beautiful ID bracelet but it was so beautiful it didn't hold all this vital information. I wasted $75.

ALSO, if you have an iPhone, you an enter all of this information! You may notice you have a Health Tracker app already supplied - it connects with the Emergency (on your screen at log in) If you have your phone on you and it is charged, EMT's know to look at it. But don't think this is enough, what if you don't have your phone, or if it isn't in good working order, or if there happens to be an EMT who doesn't know to check it? You bracelet will be there.

If you think you don't need a medical ID bracelet I hope this posts makes you reconsider. You never know what the future holds.

TOGETHER we can be BETTER

Best, MJ

leeann73
on 8/13/17 5:40 am

This has been on my "to do" list since surgery but I still haven't done it. Thanks for the reminder. I do think it is important for sure.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/17 7:44 am - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

I hadn't heard about needing a medical alert bracelet? Is this something the hospital tells you closer to surgery?

Definitely a great idea.

Thanks

birdiegirl
on 8/13/17 9:58 am

IMO this is terrible advice. No bracelet!

If I need an aspirin for a heart attack then give it to me. Sugars can save me if I'm having RH. As for the blind tube, so rare that anyone with a modicum of experience would puncture us and they'd have to go down very far.

save your money and potentially your life. Don't do it. I don't know a single long term vet who would consider wearing one. Nor a doctor who would advise it

missmac67
on 8/13/17 2:53 pm
RNY on 08/01/17

Hi birdiegirl:

Happy to hear that you feel you are well covered. I think you are totally wrong, but hey that is IMO.

Best, MJ

Wayne H.
on 8/14/17 5:38 am
RNY on 02/08/17

The Folks at the Ottawa Clinic would agree with you. A bracelet is a waste of money for us but hey if it makes some folks sleep better go ahead. And yes, I did ask my own questions upon learning of the recommendation from some posts on this site. Like I said, Its a personal choice...mine is to not bother with it based on the medical opinions I recieved.

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/17 11:21 am

You are so right- I was told this at the NP but do sleeves need the same thing?

missmac67
on 8/13/17 2:54 pm
RNY on 08/01/17

Hi jobear27

I am not sure, best to ask the surgeon or your GP.

Best, MJ

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/17 11:49 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I would never in a million years get one with that on it. As Birdie said, if I need an aspirin then give it to me and it's not like we are allergic to sugar, and not all IV have sugar in them, most are saline. As for the blind NG, unless you are unconscious you can tell them you had RNY and I've had a few NG in my life and they are well versed in how to put them in and they don't perforate. My family is aware of my history and they can tell any emergency staff what I have had done if I am unable to speak. Aspirin could save my life and I'd risk an ulcer to keep living. I have never had any doctor tell me to get one and even the surgeon said not to. I think there must be a whole new group of nurses out there that are pushing them. I would ask your surgeon his or her opinion before trusting what you were told. The things that are on there could save your life under certain cir****tances.

missmac67
on 8/13/17 2:58 pm
RNY on 08/01/17

Hi Tracey 112205

Thank you for your reply. I was told by my surgeon and my GP to get one. So I feel that I have been led in the right direction. I am suggesting that there may be a case where I am not near family and can't speak for myself. I would want this information handy. The reason why I value this forum is the opinions that people have and I of course value yours. I am just stating what I have been told and I am passing this information on to others so that they can make an informed decision.

Best, MJ

Most Active
Recent Topics