Nutritionist appt- need to pass. Any tips? What are they looking for in the log?

Lucile777
on 8/21/17 4:26 pm

hi friends,

i have my trio appt coming up and am most worried about the nutritionist. What are they looking for in the log? What are they going to ask me? There is no way I am going to fail. I will even lie. There. I put it out there. I'm not perfect, but I'm desperate to get this surgery. I went to a wedding on the weekend and those who hadn't seen me in 5 years from England gave me 'that look' of astonishment, pity, disguist all wrapped into one. Told my mother in law I was so pretty and what happened to me. Really people? Go to the open bar and leave me alone!

any tips, hints, instructions will help. Love all of you! If you are going to judge and be negative, please don't post. Much love.

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/17 6:17 pm, edited 8/21/17 11:17 am

Lucille... I am pretty sure most of us have experienced rude jerks. I know I have- sorry.

The nutritionists aren't really looking to nail you ---they're looking to see where they can help you improve- and also they can see where you're at. It's pretty obvious that I over eat so I didn't have to lie. Don't worry - this is the easy part. Be honest and let them help you! That's just my 2 cents! J

Lucile777
on 8/21/17 6:36 pm

Thank you Jobear27 ?

Starnaenae
on 8/21/17 6:37 pm

I went in and was very honest. No need to lie or try and make them think of you a certain way - youre only cheating yourself. Be completely honest. Its actually quite eye opening.

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Meggles07
on 8/21/17 7:56 pm - Canada

You will probably have 2-3 visits with the dietitian and it is a great time to start making healthy changes. Don't lie. They know we don't eat perfectly, that's why we are there to get help. Try making some positive changes in small steps now like giving up pop, juice, coffee, alcohol, etc. One thing at a time. When you get there you can tell them what you have started to do already :)

oneatatime
on 8/21/17 8:32 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

I understand the desire to get the surgery... to want it now. The folks at the centres are really there to help us, not hinder us. You asked what they are looking for? Honestly, I think they are looking for us to be honest... so they can help set us up for long term success. If we don't go into surgery with the right tools and mindset, it's much harder to succeed 2 years and 5 years and 20 years down the road.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Beachgirl77
on 8/21/17 8:45 pm, edited 8/21/17 1:47 pm

From what I remember , they go over your blood work. You find out what vitamins you need to take . They go over you food log, and make changes for you to follow. They really help you make the changes you will need for surgery and after. I would be very honest with them. You won't not pass if you aren't honest. They want to help you

To be honest with you , I'm almost 4 weeks post op. The last few weeks I have struggled .. Making those changes and being mentally prepared before surgery is really important and going to help you in the long run ! I took an early surgery date that came available, I wish I had that extra time ..because it really isn't easy at all ! And it really is just a tool ..

Good luck !

Lucile777
on 8/21/17 9:26 pm

I think you're completely right. I am worried about this love affair that I have with food :(

fromfattohealthy
on 8/24/17 7:40 am - Canada

I am sorry that you had that experience. But I hope you know that those comments say more about those people, than it does you. Sadly we live in a world where we are constantly judged based on superficial factors rather than being seen as a person first.

Not sure what centre you are with, I went through Windsor. I was really nervous for these appointments. I had a Lap Band at the time that had slipped so I had a hard time eating foods I needed to eat, for example I used to have a shake for breakfast because I could not eat at all first thing in the morning. The dietitian did not like this, but she understood my band really limited me. I did not require further follow-ups, but she did encourage me to eat more carbs. It is really not a time to be anyone else but yourself. These are your support people through this journey.

I completely understand you wanting your surgery NOW. I don't think a single person on this board didn't feel the same way. I can tell you that I thought I was prepared, I researched, I read these boards, I read the "failed weight loss surgery board", I talked to people who had surgery, I seriously thought I was ready, then I had my surgery and felt LOST. I grieved because life was different, I couldn't eat foods (sounds stupid and silly, but its true), I felt different. Dates with my partner changed, life changed, I had to change. That being said, I have no regrets, and I feel amazing. But surgery is life changing, and these appointments serve a purpose :)

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Most Active
Recent Topics