So much for telling the truth...

Lucile777
on 8/30/17 4:47 pm

so I was denied by the SW and the RD. I had too much junk food. It's gone way down from before but I didn't want to lie. So I get to go back in 4 to 6 weeks but with a 7 day log- yay.

How many if you actually made a load of changes? How many of you Lied? How many of you implemented the changes after the surgery and only after the surgery? No judgment here.

much love.

Jo0710
on 8/30/17 4:57 pm

Of course they denied you- they want to see that you are making the changes and can do I. If you can't do it before they may not trust you to be able to do it after. This surgery is major and it's not easy.

Cheating and lying is only hurting yourself.

I didn't cheat before. I wanted to prove to myself and everyone I could do it because no one thought I could.

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

oneatatime
on 8/30/17 5:27 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi Lucille,

It's an interesting question. I'll admit, it strikes a bit of a personal chord for me. I had someone who I consider a friend yesterday get mad at me because she was denied by the dietitian and the SW as well, and she made a comment to me about lying and it being so easy for me. Yes... my process went smoothly, yes... I got passed the first time at each of the practitioners. But I didn't lie. I don't pretend to be anyone I'm not. I've worked very hard in myself for many years and overcome many personal obstacles.

A few of my beliefs:

• This tool will only work when we make it work; I've been considering wls for about 8 yrs but was never ready before to implement the changes that would make me successful. They don't "happen". They "become" who we are.
  • The practioners care pationately about our success, and do not try to put up barriers to impede us. They know how to help us succeed, so if they want us to implement something, it's for our sake, not to be a bother.
  • An attitude of gratitude will help achieve everything in life. Anger, frustration, blame, etc, are the cornerstones for living a life that is focused on the past; and the past is my fat self that has no place in my future. That future is happy, gracious, appreciative, sees the good in everyone and everything... and had all that returned to me tenfold.

I do not ask you to substitute your judgment for mine... i just wanted to share. :)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Lucile777
on 8/30/17 6:06 pm

Thanks for the lovely post. I appreciate your honesty.

Insert Fitness
on 8/30/17 5:43 pm

Hiding the junk food definitely won't help you in the long run.

my first appointment was in January, and surgery was September. I used that time to implement everything they told me I needed to, in order to be successful.

not all at once, but gradually. Things like: reducing crabs, no caffeine, no alcohol, no drinking with meals, food journalling etc.

Surgery is major. I think doing as much pre op, cuts down on how overwhelming it is.

also, if you're having trouble eliminating junk food, I would to have seen the dietician refer you to a behaviourist or at least a therapist to help identify why, and give you tips .

good luck and take care.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/17 5:45 pm

OK this is my 2 cents....lying doesn't help you. I told the truth and still do because this is for me and I need their help. I have been in the past right up to getting a surgery date -- twice in 10 years. I hadn't changed ... I took it lightly.... and luckily I realized that I wasn't ready.

So kudos for NOT lying. Congrats for being authentic. Little steps and little wins...this is serious ...it is life changing and so much to prepare for.

Many of you know by now I am preparing the s*&# out of it now!!!

Lucile777
on 8/30/17 6:08 pm

You go JoBear

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/17 6:49 pm

You tooo... remember this your life...if it was easy .. well let's say most of us wouldn't be here.. it is freakin' hard.. but with behavioural changes, support, determination and surgical skill.. we make it to the other side and begin a new life! You got support here and with the hospital teams.. good luck hon!!

SweetRide1
on 8/30/17 5:58 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Hi Lucille,

I actually made a lot of changes and am still going through the process.

I just personally decided that with, or without the surgery, I had to change and I made that decision before I even asked for the referral.

I implemented a plan the day I came home from Orientation. It's evolved over time, and the dietician helped me tweak it. I've held pretty tight to it but I'm not perfect. For some reason the whole 80/20 thing resonated with me and I've been able to eat healthy, stopped the fast food, got rid of sugar and cook tasty meals at home. However, I have had the occasional day where I've had too many carbs or decided I really wanted some ice cream and I've had it. But the key is that I've gone right back on plan. No chips, no candy, no desserts, etc. The cravings for sugary foods is gone. I don't miss them. I can't believe I'm saying that but it's true!

I know that if I don't change, the surgery will not help me. I have to do it now. But that's me. It has not been easy. Today I have struggled a bit, but I'll be fine. I take it one day at a time.

My belief is that it's better to get rid of the bad habits now; build new habits, so that once you do get surgery it's not a HUGE ordeal. The surgery is difficult enough on it's own. I want to be in a position where, I'm not struggling to figure out how to eat while I'm trying to heal. I'm hoping that my new healthy habits will be ingrained by then.

My biggest concern now is that I'm losing weight at a decent pace and I'm afraid they'll think I don't need the surgery. LOL

I've thrown everything I have into this. I've taken this on as a project and treated all of this like a project. I'm probably over the top on all of this but I want to prove that I can do it and that I am prepared to do what it takes to have this surgery.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Teena D.
on 8/31/17 6:27 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I think they will be impressed with your progress and no worries about them feeling you don't need surgery! Great job!!

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Most Active
Recent Topics