SURGERY IS STILL A RISK

Linda M.
on 9/11/17 7:36 am, edited 9/11/17 8:01 am - Orillia, Canada

Good morning all,

I was a bit surprised, and saddened by a member's comment that she thought the surgery would be easier than it was by other members' comments on the site. This was just said as a statement of fact, and by addressing it now, I am only doing so because it gave me pause to reconsider my own comments. I have so much liking and respect for this member and felt that it was a great thing to share and consideration of what we say is always a good thing.

I am always trying to be encouraging and positive in my comments, but also accurate. We are all so different that some experience a great deal of pain or discomfort, have trouble even sipping water, or the gas pain is almost unbearable in the days following surgery. Others feel they could go back to work in a week, don't even take Tylenol when they get home, and are out walking the dog without even taking a nap. We're all different.

I was hesitant sharing my own personal experience because I didn't want to scare anyone. I alluded to complications and that I was well taken care of - all true, but it was more than that. We are all told by our surgeon that surgery is a risk. We are given percentages of people who experience problems during or after surgery and, if you are like me, you shake your head and wait patiently for him (or her) to get to the reason you are there: the date of YOUR surgery.

I'm not going to get into the details, but although everything was done right in my surgery and my abdomen was pumped full of air - twice, to ensure that all was good, a staple somehow gave way and I began to bleed into my abdomen. I had my first surgery at 1:30, the incredibly competent hospital staff noted the bleeding at around 7:00 p.m., and I was taken in for a second surgery at 9 p.m. that lasted another four hours. It was tough on me, but also on my husband, my surgeon and a second surgeon who came in to assist, and the nursing staff who worked tirelessly to get me ready for the second surgery. None of this was expected, but it happened - no one's fault. I guess I'm one of the lucky "less than 1%". I was never scared, never concerned and knew that if something was to happen, I couldn't have been in a better place.

I'm only sharing this now not to worry anyone or to have anyone second guess their decision, but to offer a balanced perspective. We are all individuals and our recovery and the success of this journey is ours alone. For me, I have never once doubted my decision. Although my blood and iron levels were low and I was required to stay five days, all of my levels - including vitamin - are in the high range. I have never dumped, feel only a bit of discomfort when I eat too fast or one forkful too much, don't drink pop, don't eat sugar, and stick closely to the plan. I am down 80 lbs - 64 since surgery 5.5 months ago and have never felt better.

The surgeon told me to take comments on this site with a grain of salt, and although he is right, I find that most of what I read helps me, informs me, inspires me, encourages me, and assists me with my daily decisions to follow the plan. This tool works for me and it isn't easy, but it has been so worth it.

As I say over and over again, Life is good and this journey the best road I have ever taken to improve my health.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

oneatatime
on 9/11/17 7:54 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Thank you for sharing your journey, Linda. It literally brought me to tears. Like I've said before: I think the surgery has only surfaced the true strength you had in you all along.

Your belief, optimism, courage and strength is a force to be reckoned with. That's why I, and I'm sure so many others, read carefully what you write and follow your advice.

Having a complication, being in pain, or stumbling isn't a sign of weakness. Not bouncing back or seeking support or getting help... or feeling like the only one or falling into victim mode, well that's just a shame.

Together, we are strong and united.

THANK YOU for sharing your story.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Linda M.
on 9/11/17 8:03 am - Orillia, Canada

Thank you ... and right back atcha!

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Kathy1212
on 9/11/17 8:11 am

I'm so glad they were able to deal with the complications and keep you safe. What a scary thing to have happen!

You're doing great!

I was also one of the people who expected recovery to be a lot easier than it was based on how often I'd read here that people had only discomfort and no real pain, and didn't even need their pain killers for more than a day or two, if at all.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you didn't want to scare people; maybe some of us who had a lot of pain just don't want to scare off people by sharing. I did share that I had a lot pain afterward, not to scare anyone, but just to point out that it can happen. I was in terrible pain. I get migraines all the time and thought I knew what pain was, but man, it was bad. After the first week it started getting a bit better, and after the second week it was more manageable. Every day got a bit better. I would do it all over again if I had to, because the results have been so great. It was totally worth it, pain and all. The pain even helped keep me on track for a very long time because there was NO way I was going to cheat after putting myself through all of that, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Linda M.
on 9/11/17 9:04 am - Orillia, Canada

Thanks Kathy. And look at you now ...

Starnaenae
on 9/11/17 8:17 am

I couldnt agree more with this post. There are risks for a LOOOOONG time after. I developed an ulcer about 2.5 months out that covers my whole stomach (which is not that big anymore) but greatly affected me... birth control... i was on it and got pregnant 3 months after... stopped taking meds for ulcer due to docs advice and it perforated which again landed me a 4 day stay at TWH... we are ALL different in healing, i was shopping on boxing day and surgery was dec 22 2016... no pain, no meds i was good... others not so much. this isnt an easy ride that is for sure... playing with foods to figure out what your pouch likes and doesnt, constipation, dealing with image issues... its NOT easy... but i would do it all over again as i got my health back and i got pregnant after being told it would be impossible for the last 12 years... BEST decision of my life

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Linda M.
on 9/11/17 8:58 am - Orillia, Canada

I know you had a rough time and, now, are expecting a beautiful baby boy and are doing wonderfully. Life is full of ups and downs anyways and nothing is clear sailing. It made me think about providing balance to our posts and although I have only been on this site for a year and am only 5 months out, I still read to learn and ask questions who are further along in their journey. I'm so glad you are doing well and belated Happy Birthday you "regular" size girl!

Starnaenae
on 9/11/17 9:22 am

Thank you so much!!

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/17 8:25 am

First of all let me say thank you for sharing and you are brave and you are a wonderful person and I appreciate all the posts that you do.

A little while ago I asked people what their complications were and I can understand that people were hesitant to say what they went through. The reason why I posted it was that for me at least, going into something with my eyes wide open ---knowing the risks ---knowing they are real and knowing how someone recovered like you did actually gives me a lot more hope.

You keep reading about these risks and it scares you but then when you read that someone had it and they recovered nicely yeah thank you again!!!

Linda M.
on 9/11/17 9:03 am - Orillia, Canada

Hey Jo. It is personal and it can be perceived as scary. It wasn't for me, but it was for my husband and our adult children. The first surgery was 3 hours and the second 4. I was well looked after the entire time, but still remember my husband crying when he saw that I was awake at 3 in the morning.

For you, you see hope and for others, they see a scary situation. My husband told our oldest son, but not my middle daughter because he knew they would both see it differently. Michael prayed for me and his father knowing that I was in the right place, and Elyse freaked when she heard about it after the fact. Boy, was she mad and rightly so but her father made a judgement call.

I guess I finally realized that whether I shared my experience or not, people were going to take from it what they will and I could only hope that it doesn't scare anyone too much that they reconsider their choice to make this journey.

Thank you for your kind words and I receive the same from your posts. This is a great site with wonderful members of which you are one.

Linda

Most Active
Recent Topics