Hi Everybody! So I haven't posted in a while...

Amzmommy
on 10/7/17 6:12 am

I hope everyone is doing well!

I have good news and felt the need to share I got my surgery date Nov 2!!?? My question is, what do you recomend I bring to the hospital to me. I have a tendency to come over packed or over prepared. Also any grocery staples you would recomend having on hand in the first week or so until I get around. So far I have purchased apple juice, broth, my vitamins.

TIA for all your help?

Kathy1212
on 10/7/17 8:03 am

Congratulations, that's great news! So exciting!

I brought my clothes, slippers, a small pillow to hold against my tummy when I had to move, regular toiletries plus dry shampoo and baby wipes, dry mouth spray, electronics and a book so I wouldn't get bored (a Godsend, since I couldn't sleep and had to stay an extra day and night).

I brought a housecoat too, but it was super hot in the room so I just wore an extra hospital gown backwards as a housecoat.

Afterwards, I made sure to have broth, bottled water, protein shakes (I used premier protein for the convenience because I had to stay in Toronto for 5 days after my surgery, before I could fly home), and my vitamins. I also brought a jello back with me from the hospital and it lasted the entire 5 days, lol. I basically just had 2 premier protein per day, plus water and a bit of broth.

Good luck!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Amzmommy
on 10/7/17 9:21 am

Hi Kathy

Thanks for reponding...your list is a big help. Im an over packer and have a tendency to bring everything but the kitchen sink. I like to come prepared but go overboard.lol. Just want to keep it simple.

gbears
on 10/7/17 8:07 am

Hey. I honestly only used my phone, headphones and books. I had some hiccups so I stayed in my gown and had a second as a house coat for when I walked until I was off my IV then I just wore a nightshirt and unders. I had a shower in my room but I couldn't really do that until the IV was out. I used baby wipes and facewipes to clean up and used the standard toiletries. In Hamilton they have shampoo, conditioner and body wash you can use so you don't have to bring this.

I am picky with pillows so I brought my own and also brought a patch make quilt.

If you follow the drinking schedule and walking at least once per hour you honestly won't need too much extra stuff. I didn't pull out my tablet at all.

Ultimately if you over pack, you over pack. Keep in mind you can't help bring anything out so try to keep it at a manageable amount for whomever is driving you home.

Good luck with Opti and the surgery!

I guess to sum it up, this is what I used:

• Phone and headphones (texting and Netflix - maybe 30 min total watched)
  • Book - I read before I go to bed. It was only the last 2 days I read
  • Baby wipes and facewipes
  • Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, face cream
  • Chapstick and handcream
  • Something comfy to wear. My room was unbelievably hot and I had a fan going 24/7 so don't make it too bulky.
  • Pillow and blanket.
  • Premier Protein if that is the route you are taking. The hospital let me bring in my own but I just had my husband bring this when they were satisfied with moving me to the modified diet.

When you get home your diet is limited for 2 weeks. From my experience, I would caution stocking up too much as my tastes drastically changed 36 hours out of the hospital. You will want some soups, protein powder/shakes, yogurt, jello, milk.. I am personally living off yogurt and unflavoured protein powder in butternut squash soup. I have had some sugar free jello so I could "chew" something. Your vitamins and meds are the only things I would for sure have on hand. Try and get as much in liquid version as possible.

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

Amzmommy
on 10/7/17 9:29 am

Thank you sooooo much for responding, I am an over packer ...I like to stock up and be prepared and just didnt want to go overboard. (As I have a tendency to do) I will take your advise and keep it manageable and wont go crazy on groceries. Thanks for your suggestions at least I have an idea where to start. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this post thanks again!

Kathy1212
on 10/7/17 10:59 am

I brought my laptop, tablet and phone, lol, and used them all. I watched Netflix for hours, updated facebook, kept in touch with my family out of town, etc. If I was better at typing on my phone or tablet, I would have left my laptop at home, but I need a full sized keyboard to type with so brought it too and didn't regret it. My roommate borrowed my tablet, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Amzmommy
on 10/7/17 11:55 am

Thank you I was debating on my laptop...you confirmed it. I was thinking cell phone and ereader only. I'm trying to be more lowkey ...my husband will tell you Im brutal to travel with ...my saying is I would rather be over prepared than under prepared lol.

oneatatime
on 10/7/17 9:56 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Congratulations on your surgery date!! That's really exciting. I know you've been waiting a while for this.

The only thing I would add to the list of things to bring is an extension cord. The plugs tend to be far from the bed and you won't want to get in and out every time to charge something. :)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Amzmommy
on 10/8/17 6:55 am

Hi thank you.. I guess the wait wasnt that long...but for someone impatient like me it.was long enough lol. Also thanks for the tip didnt even think of the extension cord. Hope all is well!

Most Active
Recent Topics